Can I add more DME after pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevehn

Reaction score
So I'm having one of those "oh crap" moments. I was mixing up a batch of Graff last night, and didn't double check my recipe before adding my DME. Turns out I only added 1lb instead of two.

I pitched last night around 10:30pm. I probably won't have a big krausen for at least another 24 hours.

Can I get away with boiling another 2L of water, adding the missing 1lb of DME, and funnel it into the carboy? Or is it generally considered a bad idea to add more fermentables after pitching.

You will probably be OK but I would make sure to cool the addition before adding. I don't know what volumes you are talking about, but you don't want to raise the temp so high that you kill the yeast. That would be bad.

Otherwise, doing what you describe is commonly done by folks who are making high alcohol brews...they "feed" the beer over time with more fermentables, instead of putting them in all at once.

good luck!

i think i need to do this. I missed my OG on a hefe by 10 points. Just pitched yeast. So if I cook up a small wort of wheat DME and cool it down low, i can pitch that sucker and get the fullness back that i'd me missing?

Latest posts

Back