Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can a bottle burst while being shipped?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
JoefromPhilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Can a bottle burst while being shipped?

I sent 2 bottled brews to my brother in Vegas from Philly. They had been carbing for 2 weeks. I wrapped them quite well in bubble wrap, and there was plenty of cushion at both ends of each bottle.

I sent them via Priority Mail. When he got them, the package was wrapped in plastic and I could feel that one of the bottles was broken. Obviously either one of the bottles broke or exploded. What is the likelihood that it exploded?

I pity the rest of the mail that sat with that package! It was an amber ale that was quite tasty. And yes, the rest of the batch was fully carbed!

- Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It's illegal to ship alcohol via USPS.

And yes, it's possible that bottles burst during shipping - they get shaken up and are exposed to all sorts of temperature extremes. With high levels of carbonation or an infection, they can pop under those conditions.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've received broken bottles before, even though they were well packed. I think the boxes just get treated so bad that at some point a bottle is bound to break. Just be glad they still delivered it and you arn't charged with a crime! Go for UPS or Fedex next time.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
deepsouth
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 39

i always use ups to ship beer and never the postal service.... that said, my buddy that sends me westvleterens from brugge always uses the regular postal service and brugge to biloxi happens in six days!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I worked for Gateway for a few years and I remember our UPS guy throwing $500 flat panel monitors off the back of his truck into puddles of water. Our freight shipper delivered a $10k plasma display with a shattered screen. There is absolutely a great chance anything you ship with any delivery company can and will be abused to no end.

That being said I remember my best friend's G/F shipped him a 6'er of flat tire from Colorado to VA because we can't get it here, just in time for his exams. Was pretty sweet.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've sent beer in a sixer cooler filled with ice packs & cheese.

I sent some Bigfoot to my BIL with wedges of Maytag Blue Cheese to hold the bottles in place inside the cooler.

It got there intact. I packed it good and double boxed it too. The air between the boxes and cooler where filled with balled up newspaper.

I probably could have punted it and it probably would have still good to go.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoefromPhilly View Post
I sent 2 bottled brews to my brother in Vegas from Philly. They had been carbing for 2 weeks. I wrapped them quite well in bubble wrap, and there was plenty of cushion at both ends of each bottle.

I sent them via Priority Mail. When he got them, the package was wrapped in plastic and I could feel that one of the bottles was broken. Obviously either one of the bottles broke or exploded. What is the likelihood that it exploded?

I pity the rest of the mail that sat with that package! It was an amber ale that was quite tasty. And yes, the rest of the batch was fully carbed!

- Joe
Hey, how'd you do that?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
deepsouth
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstrat View Post
I worked for Gateway for a few years and I remember our UPS guy throwing $500 flat panel monitors off the back of his truck into puddles of water. Our freight shipper delivered a $10k plasma display with a shattered screen. There is absolutely a great chance anything you ship with any delivery company can and will be abused to no end.

That being said I remember my best friend's G/F shipped him a 6'er of flat tire from Colorado to VA because we can't get it here, just in time for his exams. Was pretty sweet.
true about any delivery company damaging the goods, but wouldn't using usps run you the risk of potential legal action?????

Old 05-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts

Good chance that Priority was shipped Air, which the decrease in pressure could cause the bottle to break as well. I'd suggest shipping (via ups or fed-ex) ground next time

Old 05-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
JoefromPhilly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I went to visit my brother in Vegas. I sent the bottles ahead of time. I got the package from the apartment complex office, as it would not fit in his mailbox. Regarding sending the beer, I even asked a mailman about sending out 2 bottles. He told me "no problem".

As an experiment, I took a bottle, filled it with water, capped it and wrapped it like i did the other bottle. I dropped it a few times on my driveway and could not get it to break.

- Joe

Quick Reply