The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can a blow off tube fit on fermenter bucket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
mmonacel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Can a blow off tube fit on fermenter bucket?

Hey there - I recently bought the intermediate brew kit from Midwest Supplies. It comes with a 6.5 gal Ale Pail with a small hole drilled with a rubber grommet in the lid which is the perfect size for an airlock. I'm concerned that I might get some blow off. I ordered a blow off kit from northern brewer, but it's a fairly wide hose connected to a drilled stopper for a carboy. Does anyone use blow off tubes for bucket fermenters? If so, I'm guessing I need to drill a much larger hole to allow for drilled stopper.

Questions:
- Is this normal or is there a small blow off hose that people use for this situation? I'm guessing it's gotta be really small since the hole is so small
- If I need to drill a new hole, does anyone know the correct size to use and the best way to drill this out to keep it clean and to ensure a tight fit with the stopper?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

One of the advantages of using a bucket is that you typically don't need a blow off tube due to the large amount of head space. Why are you concerned about blow off? Are you brewing a larger batch or something?

Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I just use a hose that fits the existing holes (although I had to enlarge one so all three lids match). Measured the hole and went to the hardware store.

Since you ordered a kit, wait to drill out the hole until the kit arrives. A Step drill is the cleanest way to make the hole. It also has the advantage that you can "step up" the hole until you like the fit.

You'll also need a new stopper with a hole for the airlock.

I've blown lids off of buckets and here's a recycled picture of happy yeast:

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Marsdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I think you could drill the hole bigger to fit the stopper. If you wanted to use your air lock you could get another stopper with the smaller hole for it.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have some 3/8" tubing (i think that is the size) that fits right into the rubber grommet with some convincing.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Rig up an airlock blowoff tube...take your bottling wand hose or other suitable one, put a small slit in it...Heat it for a few minutes in hot water to soften, then do this.

One thing that I do to all my airlocks is saw or break off the little criss/cross of plastic on the bottom of them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
152Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

my buckets came pre-drilled with a small hole and a grommet for the air lock. On the night before brewing, I thought I would be smart and boil my airlock (it had been sitting around in the garage for a long time). Well, the airlock distorted in the boiling water. Rather than making an emergency trip to the LHBS, I used my bottling tube and a pitcher of water for blowoff. The tube fight tight in the grommet (that's what she said). Worked out perfect. I had to use one of my wife's hair clip thingys to keep the tube in the pitcher.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've had huge blowoffs in a 6.5 gallon bucket. I picked up a chuck of very wide tube at NB in St. Paul that fits perfectly into the neck of a carboy and (as luck would have it ) perfectly into the airlock hole on my plastic fermenting bucket.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
mmonacel
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Wow - thanks so much for the quick and multiple replies! Overall I think Revvy's got a great system set up and it would work best for me. I wouldn't need to drill out my lid any further and can switch back to using the airlock after a few days very quickly without any disturbance. Great idea!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
RushN24
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've done the same thing as Revvy so far and it has worked fine for me, my last batch being a 1.062 and the siphon tubing rig handled it no problem, the one thing I have changed though is I've managed to get the tubing to fit into the pre-drilled hole on the fermenter rather than cutting it to fit over the airlock. For me that is just easier but you might find your equipment requires something a little different.

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.”

-E.A. Poe

Quick Reply