Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can beer be primed and served out of a carboy without it going stale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
NavyMarine1978
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

Default Can beer be primed and served out of a carboy without it going stale?

I have been racking my brain and trying to think of a means of by-passing bottling and being able to serve directly out of my carboy without kegs or co2. Does anyone have ideas? The idea of adding a hand pump system is as far as I have considered but I am concerned about air being introduced into the carboy during the hand pumping process. I am still thinking out loud here. Any ideas or is this impossible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

NO way. The carboys can't handle the pressure and you are just asking for trouble. Skip the experiment and buy a corny or may a tap a draft system.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Do a google search for "pressure barrel Fermenters." They're big in the UK but virtually unknown here in the states, don't know about Canada....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Do a google search for "pressure barrel Fermenters." They're big in the UK but virtually unknown here in the states, don't know about Canada....
Never heard of those. They look to be pretty much be plastic casks. Be pretty cool if you like cask beer and don't have the $ for the real thing.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
brewski08
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just get a spray bottle head and wedge it in your bung hole. Just a quick squeeze and you'll be drinking some of that delicious nectar. It could also serve as a BMC drinker repellent.

...but in all seriousness, I'm sure there is a way. I think a carboy could handle the pressure as long as you got a tight fitting, and what you'd essentially be doing is creating a yeast-ier cask ale.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I wouldn't trust a carboy to not fail under carbonating pressure levels. You're talking over 30psi at room temp there. Do you really want to have the carboy bust/explode? Never mind the beer loss, think of the potential personal injury that could result.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Revvy Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I wouldn't trust a carboy to not fail under carbonating pressure levels. You're talking over 30psi at room temp there. Do you really want to have the carboy bust/explode? Never mind the beer loss, think of the potential personal injury that could result.
YES!

They call those things I mentioned earlier, PRESSURE barrels for a reason.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
brewski08
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Excuse my simple-folk logic, but I don't understand why a carboy couldn't handle this pressure? If the much less massive walls of a beer bottle can resist the pressure, why couldn't the walls of a much more massive carboy?

Old 07-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
NavyMarine1978
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

I was told of a contraption that used to be sold around here. It was described as a plastic, barrel like, container which housed a bladder which was inflated with air or something to displace head space. The pressure barrels seem to be hard to come by. On E-Bay, a 5 gallon pressure barrel would cost about $140 to ship here.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Get your drinking buddies to help supply bottles and bottle your brew, or get a keg. The potential risk is not worth skimping on the time and or cost of doing it right.

Brew On!

Quick Reply