New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can anyone identify what's floating in my secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 12:29 AM   #11
boo boo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1master
hop seeds could have escaped being pulverised when they crushed up the pellets.

i'm still betting on hop seeds.
Don't think so Tim.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2006, 02:01 AM   #12
Levers101
Recipes 

It looks and reads like it might be a Rorschach test.

However, I'm going to say it isn't floating yeast clumps or other microbial growth. If you look at them they all have the same shape and relative size, yeast clumps would be, well, more clumpy and odd shaped. I'm going to say that it looks alot like the hulls of your crystal malt. Alot of them look strangely like barley grains. So I'm going to wield Occam's Razor here and say: barley hulls.

Bottled/Drinking #12: 6 Hop Variety American Pale Ale
Bottled/Drinking #13: Dry stout kit
Bottled/Drinking #14: Bavarian Wheat
Bottled/Drinking #15: Iron Red Ale

On Deck
:

Bull Sprig Brewery

Old 09-18-2006, 02:13 AM   #13
MattD
Recipes 

That makes sense... I guess the real test will be in a week or so, when I go to bottle, I'll take one out and see what it tastes like if it's an alien egg, I should have a beastie burst from my chest shortly thereafter. Otherwise, maybe taste will tell something definitive!

Old 09-18-2006, 02:31 AM   #14
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levers101
It looks and reads like it might be a Rorschach test.

However, I'm going to say it isn't floating yeast clumps or other microbial growth. If you look at them they all have the same shape and relative size, yeast clumps would be, well, more clumpy and odd shaped. I'm going to say that it looks alot like the hulls of your crystal malt. Alot of them look strangely like barley grains. So I'm going to wield Occam's Razor here and say: barley hulls.
Saw this thread late but I would first say hop seeds but you used pellet hops so that is out of the question.

They resemble smaller grains as Levers said. Did you boil any of the actual grains? If so you are in for a mouth puckering surprise when you drink the beer!

Old 09-18-2006, 02:51 AM   #15
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I didn't see your recipe request the first time I read through this post. I didn't get the recipe anywhere, I made it myself. I just took my brown ale and added pumpkin and cream to it in form of lactose. I suppose I could share it with you with the disclaimer that it's the first time I brewed it, but the smell was EXACTLY like pumpkin pie.

Pumpkin Pie Cream Ale
6lbs. Light DME
1lb. Lactose start of boil.
6 15oz cans of 100% pure pumpkin (not pie filling) added to the start of the boil.

2lbs. Crystal Malt (20L) steeped.
.25lb. Special "B" steeped.
.25lb. Chocolate Malt steeped.

.5oz Cascade Whole Leaf Hops @ 60mins
1oz Cascade Whole Leaf Hops @ 30mins
4 Whole Nutmeg (Crushed) @ 30mins
10 Cinnamon Sticks (Crushed) @ 30mins

Irish Moss

Wyeast: London III Ale Yeast

I'm pretty confident that this will yield a very good beer, if not a very festive brew. I'll be able to critique it better after about 10-14 days when it goes into the secondary. One thing to note, as it has been noted before is that you will get alot more trub from the pumpkin, so plan on doing around 6 gallons in the batch to yield 5 gallons.

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 09-18-2006, 04:24 AM   #16
MattD
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillHayze
Saw this thread late but I would first say hop seeds but you used pellet hops so that is out of the question.

They resemble smaller grains as Levers said. Did you boil any of the actual grains? If so you are in for a mouth puckering surprise when you drink the beer!
Nah, didn't boil them. Steeped them at 155F for 15 minutes, cranked up the heat and left the thermometer in, watched it climb and removed from heat at 170F. Then I took the grain bag out and added the LME, put it back on heat and brought to a boil.

That pumpkin recipe sounds good. I don't know that I'm going to make one though, I found some Pumpkin Ale (Buffalo Bill Brewery) at the store today and tried it out, and I really didn't like it. I don't think it tasted like pumpkin or pie though, so maybe it just wasn't a good batch

Old 09-18-2006, 04:36 AM   #17
Ize

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyk'd
I didn't see your recipe request the first time I read through this post. I didn't get the recipe anywhere, I made it myself. I just took my brown ale and added pumpkin and cream to it in form of lactose. I suppose I could share it with you with the disclaimer that it's the first time I brewed it, but the smell was EXACTLY like pumpkin pie.

Pumpkin Pie Cream Ale
6lbs. Light DME
1lb. Lactose start of boil.
6 15oz cans of 100% pure pumpkin (not pie filling) added to the start of the boil.

2lbs. Crystal Malt (20L) steeped.
.25lb. Special "B" steeped.
.25lb. Chocolate Malt steeped.

.5oz Cascade Whole Leaf Hops @ 60mins
1oz Cascade Whole Leaf Hops @ 30mins
4 Whole Nutmeg (Crushed) @ 30mins
10 Cinnamon Sticks (Crushed) @ 30mins

Irish Moss

Wyeast: London III Ale Yeast

I'm pretty confident that this will yield a very good beer, if not a very festive brew. I'll be able to critique it better after about 10-14 days when it goes into the secondary. One thing to note, as it has been noted before is that you will get alot more trub from the pumpkin, so plan on doing around 6 gallons in the batch to yield 5 gallons.

Wow, I've been avoiding the "Pumpkin Threads" just because I didn't think a Pumpkin brew would appeal to me, but reading your recipe Spyk'd, it sounds really tasty. I'll be looking for reviews, as it sounds like a good one to try.

Sorry....

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Last edited by Ize; 09-18-2006 at 04:52 AM.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #18
BeerLuvnGrl
Recipes 

ill chime in.. looks like grain to me.. some may have gotten out the grain bag.... im just guessing..but if any aliens start poppin out.. lol

that pumpkin recipe looks good! i tried a pumpkin beer sat and man was it good..smelled wonderful.. almost made me wanna brew! LOL i got too much going right now.. 2 fermentors and 3 secondaries.. i just cannot brew again right now..

Bottled: Raspberry Overload (wheat)
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale
Bottled: Holiday Cheer (belgian wheat)

Fermentor: Traditional Mead
Fermentor (2): Common Apple Cider
Secondary: Holiday Cider
Secondary (2): Common Apple Cider

Up Next: Heffenweizer

Old 09-18-2006, 02:18 PM   #19
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

corn?

Old 09-18-2006, 02:21 PM   #20
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I don't have a clue what it is, but I've several times seen similar (if not the same) things in my primaries, and have never noticed any problems with the finished beers.

-a.

Quick Reply