Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can anyone identify what's floating in my secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 03:34 AM   #1
MattD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can anyone identify what's floating in my secondary?

There are some seed-looking things floating in my secondary, that I can't for the life of me figure out what they could be. Has anyone ever seen this before, and can you tell me what it is?

Thanks!

Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2006, 03:37 AM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Looks like it might be flakes of clumped up yeast.

-walker

Old 09-17-2006, 03:42 AM   #3
MattD
Recipes 

Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear (more so than big clumps of some sort of bacillus anyway ) Is it common for clumps to float up from the bottom like that? They weren't present until about 24 hours after transferring to 2ndary.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:45 AM   #4
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD
Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear (more so than big clumps of some sort of bacillus anyway ) Is it common for clumps to float up from the bottom like that? They weren't present until about 24 hours after transferring to 2ndary.
I'm just guessing here based on one pic, so please don't hold me accountable if those things are alien eggs or something.

As for it being common... it's never happened to me before, but brewing is shifty like that. No two brews will behave the same. I've pictures of some pretty crazy looking yeast clumps before (one described as a "big piece of dragon poop").

Old 09-17-2006, 03:48 AM   #5
greg75

Recipes 

Quote:
I've only brewed one batch, so take this for what it's worth, but I had some of what you're experiencing during secondary, also, albeit much less than what you have. Every now and then, I could see what looked like a little seed near the side of the carboy, and it would dissolve a little, and then drop to the bottom of the carboy leaving a little bubble trail in its wake. I assumed it was just yeast dropping to the bottom due to lack of maltose, or whatever.

I assume that's what you're experiencing, as Walker suggested, although that sure is a lot of activity? What are you brewing? I was brewing a simple nut brown ale, with just a can of Munton's LME hopped extract, and some unhopped extract. Maybe that's why I had so much less activity than you? Who knows.

Old 09-17-2006, 04:18 AM   #6
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

looks like irish moss to me that maybe got through your strainer...

Old 09-17-2006, 04:49 AM   #7
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Irish moss disolves, so you wouldn't see it like that. My first guess was hop seeds, but if you didn't use whole leaf hops, then it's definitely yeast. I've had those before. What type of yeast did you use?

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 09-17-2006, 04:54 AM   #8
MattD
Recipes 

if it's irish moss, then I'm a new millionaire, since I didn't put any in to begin with

This batch has been problematic, the recipe is just 1#crystal malt, 6.6#amber LME, 1.5 oz. hallertauer mittelfrueh pellets (30 min) and some munton's dry brewers yeast. Also some burton's salts. OG was about 1.035, and fermentation seemed to fizzle out after only 41 hours. SG at that time was 1.016, and since my recipe said it was ok to transfer to secondary when SG had dropped by half, and the FG was supposed to be 1.008-1.012, and since I didn't know any better, I went ahead and racked it. It's only been in secondary for 2 days now, and I still don't see any airlock activity, so I don't know if I really hurt anything by racking it so early or not. I think if I could do it over again I'd repitch some more yeast in primary, but such is life. I'm gonna let this sit in secondary until my new batch is ready to rack, then go ahead and bottle it. We'll see if the gravity has moved any in the interim. If not, I'll have some nice 2% brew to pass off on visitors until the big ale I've got in primary is done. Anyway, I diverge, my point is this thing has been a PITA and I'm not surprised that it's growing alien eggs or whatever

Say Spyk'd, where'd you find the recipe for the pumpkin pie cream ale? I'm thinking about getting something along those lines in primary as soon as I get my Old Ale into secondary, hopefully it can be done just in time for thanksgiving, and I'd love to see the recipe

Last edited by MattD; 09-17-2006 at 04:57 AM.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #9
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hop seeds could have escaped being pulverised when they crushed up the pellets.

i'm still betting on hop seeds.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Last edited by uglygoat; 09-17-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
if it's irish moss, then I'm a new millionaire, since I didn't put any in to begin with

haha.. i guess it is the seeds.. my bad.

Quick Reply