Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > campfire / deer lease / hunting season brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
wgonfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default campfire / deer lease / hunting season brew

I'm an avid hunter & spend almost ever other weekend from October until Feburary (east texas so its not that cold) camped out at the hunting lease. My lease is a more family oriented lease and there aren't many campers & not a lot of drinking. I normally cook some wild game (duck, venison, rabbit etc..) while I'm camped. Typically I drink a Sam Adams with dinner and maybe a Glenfiddich 15 before bed (always need the extra help sleepign well with all the racket the yotes make) . Occiasionally we will have guest & they will knock back a few (2 or 12) BMC beers. I'm looking forward to enjoying homebrew aroudn the campfire this year. Can anyone recommend a brew that will pair well with venison, have a 6 to 8% abv & could be appreciated (maybe not prefered) by my BMC buds? What is your traditional hunting camp brew?

also, a lote of what I cook while out there is marinaded in beer or is simmered in beer. If you were to brew a "cooking" beer, what would it be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
jaytizzle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I haven't been brewing long enough for hunting season to kick back around yet but I'd imagine that a nice IPA would pair well with venison. Something nice and grassy to go with a delicious grass and corn-fed deer steak! Either that or a wheat (not a hefe).

You wouldn't want anything dark like a porter or stout, that'd be too much malt and roasted flavor.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

For marinading, an Oktoberfest my work OK depending on how the rest of the seasoning is and also what you're pairing it with, veg and carb wise. Saisons may also go well too, I don't know. It all depends on your spices/flavorings.

Plus, that time of year, I drink oktoberfests, spiced winter ales, and stouts and plan meals accordingly.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Hunter/angler here, I would think a nice nut brown type of ale would be enjoyable in camp. You could slow simmer brats in them, use the beer in pancake batter, marinate a chicken/venison in it. Lots of people I know first foray into something other than BMC was Newcastle brown ale. It's a crowd pleaser, can be thirst quenching, and fairly easy to make.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #5
lowtones84
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I'm gonna have to agree with Bighorn here. A brown along the lines of Newcastle would work well I think. A wheat beer (other than maybe weizenbock) I think is too light...game is not a light flavor in my experience. Perhaps a scotch ale or dopplebock, but these may not be accessible to a BMC crowd. Saisons are pretty open, and you could certainly brew one to match what you eat I think.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
Nightstalker
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hunter and fisherman here too. I would have said IPA at first but hearing what bighorn just said I would have to agree. I just bottled an American brown. Would probably do well with some deer or duck. Its only a 5% beer though. The IPA would be my choice if you are gonna be spicing the meat up quite a bit. Of course I dont know many BMC people that can stomach some good IPA's.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
wgonfan
Recipes 

so far nothing that needs to be brewed now &could benefit from a long aging?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #8
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Barleywine or Imperial stout to warm up with.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
Indianhead_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

There are lot of brews that go well with venison (a few of which people have already mentioned). Personally I like a nice IPA with my grilled backstraps, but since you are talking about having something for those that prefer BMC I would maybe recommend a cream ale as that seems to be less assertive but still pairs well with venison.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #10
Pezman1
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

An Irish Red, a Porter, a Brown or maybe a Dubbel if you want something a bit bigger. Your choices become rather limited when you have a BMC crowd. A hefeweizen is usually a crowd pleaser, but it just doesn't fit for me with a cool fall evening.

By the way, porter and venison are like peas and carrots. Some grilled backstrap or roundsteaks with porter in the marinade, and gravy made with porter and baby Bella mushrooms is just one floor down from Heaven.

Happy Hunting. Pez.

Almost forgot, you need some grilled asparagus as a side......

Quick Reply