Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Campden tablets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler1 View Post
I agree with what has been said. Allow chlorine to dissipate over night, or just use a carbon filter at point of use. IMO, chlorine aside, it is always a nice idea to filter your brewing water. However, neither of those options will help you with chloramine, so the small dose of campden is needed. 1 small tablet for 20 gallons. I break mine down to quarters, pulverise the 1/4 tablet between my fingers, and add it to the kettle water for each stage during brew day.

As an aside, I am sure there are some awesome HBS out there, and your shop may be staffed by some great people, but the advice can be awful. My personal favoite was "I rack 4 times because I want crystal clear beer."

I say take what you hear with a grain of salt, and do some fact checking (as you did) before taking any advice from the guy behind the counter at the LHBS to heart.

Joe
Good advice. Is there any down side to using the powdered form of the tablets? Wouldn't it be easier than breaking tablets?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have never seen the powered form. I bought a jar of the tablets for like $3, and I will probably be dead before I use it up. The thing I like about the tablets is that they are pretty easily measured. I simply break them in 4 pieces, and use accordingly. It is such a small amount, I think it would actually be easy to overdo it in a powder form.

For the sake of a visual, it is like breaking a baby asparin into 4 pieces. That is a pretty small amount of powder to measure out...

Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
zachary80
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't really see a reason to leave it out overnight to get rid of chlorine unless you are topping off with it too

I've been using 1/4 tabs of Campden to deal with my chloramine, which won't boil off. I agree it's pretty easy to break up the tabs and they are cheap

Next Batches: Wheat Stout, Quick n Dirty Berliner Weiss, Antithesis Saison du Vin, Split Open and Melt Imperial Stout

Quick Reply