Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Campden tablets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Campden tablets

After reading all the posts regarding chloramine and chlorine possibly ruining beer, I went to my LHBS to purchase campden tablets. I was advised by the owner that I could be creating a worse problem by using the tablets because although the chloramine and chlorine would be neutralized, there could very well be an excess amount of sulfites remaining in the wort, which could have a negative impact on the yeast. I wound up using RO water with the minerals added back,(Nestle). I have no scientific background to agree or disagree with the gentleman, but I'm sure there are posters on this forum that do. I'd be interested to hear their input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've used a campden tablet for my last few batches of beer, I use city water for all my brews. No issues thus far, the yeast have been doing just fine. No off flavors either.

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 06-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
I've used a campden tablet for my last few batches of beer, I use city water for all my brews. No issues thus far, the yeast have been doing just fine. No off flavors either.
Ditto.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No problems here. You only need 1 tablet for 20 gallons of water. I split mine into pieces to accomodate for a smaller batch size.

If your local water uses chlorine, you don't really need them. Just leave your brew water out overnight and it will evaporate. This is one of the reasons municipal water systems have been switching to chloramines because chlorine proves to be too unstable in open air.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo155 View Post
No problems here. You only need 1 tablet for 20 gallons of water. I split mine into pieces to accomodate for a smaller batch size.

If your local water uses chlorine, you don't really need them. Just leave your brew water out overnight and it will evaporate. This is one of the reasons municipal water systems have been switching to chloramines because chlorine proves to be too unstable in open air.
When you leave it out overnight, does it have to be uncovered? I read my water report and there's no mention of chloramine, just chlorine.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGMAN View Post
When you leave it out overnight, does it have to be uncovered? I read my water report and there's no mention of chloramine, just chlorine.
Yes...leave them uncovered.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo155 View Post
Yes...leave them uncovered.
Thanks.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

According to water expert ajdelange, excess sulfite is not a problem (assuming you're not using ridiculous amounts of metabite):

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/con...0/#post2437968

Quote from the linked post:
"The good news is that the products of reacted and unreacted metabite (with the exception of the cation) are beneficial to beer in various ways so over dosing is not a problem."

Old 06-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
According to water expert ajdelange, excess sulfite is not a problem (assuming you're not using ridiculous amounts of metabite):

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/con...0/#post2437968

Quote from the linked post:
"The good news is that the products of reacted and unreacted metabite (with the exception of the cation) are beneficial to beer in various ways so over dosing is not a problem."
I think that's the scientific answer I was looking for. I guess the LHBS fellow was misinformed.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

I agree with what has been said. Allow chlorine to dissipate over night, or just use a carbon filter at point of use. IMO, chlorine aside, it is always a nice idea to filter your brewing water. However, neither of those options will help you with chloramine, so the small dose of campden is needed. 1 small tablet for 20 gallons. I break mine down to quarters, pulverise the 1/4 tablet between my fingers, and add it to the kettle water for each stage during brew day.

As an aside, I am sure there are some awesome HBS out there, and your shop may be staffed by some great people, but the advice can be awful. My personal favoite was "I rack 4 times because I want crystal clear beer."

I say take what you hear with a grain of salt, and do some fact checking (as you did) before taking any advice from the guy behind the counter at the LHBS to heart.

Joe

Quick Reply