Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > California Common (Uncommon FG?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Dinosaurbones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default California Common (Uncommon FG?)

I just bottled my first California Common ale and the FG was 1.020 after 4 weeks in the primary at 60 degrees. Is this usual for this yeast type/beer type or do I have broken bottles cleanup in my future? I primed with 3/4 cup of cane sugar and I took the FG reading after priming. What can I do to avoid gushing/broken bottles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

After 4 weeks it is unlikely you need to worry about bottle bombs, if this was an extract batch. Some extracts just don't ferment down very far.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

The priming sugar would have added around 6 points.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
WickedLB
Recipes 

I don't think you will have bottle bombs either. My guess is that you did not pitch enough yeast to get much lower. I need to pitch a 2 liter starter for hybrid style (see Mr Malty's Pitching Rate Calculator). This is one of my favorite styles and with a good starter I can get down to 1.011.

Can you tell us recipe and process? What type of yeast? Did you make a starter?

Coming Soon: Saison, Amarillo SMaSH, Oktoberfest
Primary1: APA
Primary2: Belgian Wit
Keg 1: Empty =(
Keg 2: Blonde Ale

Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
agroff383
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You could try putting it in a slightly warmer place if you want it to come down a bit.

I used White Labs San Fran Lager yeast and made the appropriate starter, did a partial mash batch, and mine came down to 1.019. But I had the temp at around 58-62 depending on the time of day, and it was in the primary for 4 weeks. So our recipes came out relatively the same, assuming you used that yeast. It has been in the bottle over a month and I think it is balanced not too sweet but not dry either...just my 2 cents. Of course I would have liked it around 1.013 or so but I will do it next time...

Can I have your business card?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
Dinosaurbones
Recipes 

I used White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast without a starter. I have not used a starter for any of my other beers, some of which came to 1.012, but is sounds like this yeast may need the starter. Is that common for all lagers? It stayed near a constant 60 degrees in my garage in San Francisco.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
WickedLB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosaurbones View Post
I used White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast without a starter. I have not used a starter for any of my other beers, some of which came to 1.012, but is sounds like this yeast may need the starter. Is that common for all lagers? It stayed near a constant 60 degrees in my garage in San Francisco.
You can definitely get away with making most ales without a starter (though IMO starters produce better beers), but once you start lowering the temps for hybrids and lagers, you need more yeast. You can make a starter or buy more vials.

Coming Soon: Saison, Amarillo SMaSH, Oktoberfest
Primary1: APA
Primary2: Belgian Wit
Keg 1: Empty =(
Keg 2: Blonde Ale

Tags
bottles exploding, california common, priming sugar

Quick Reply