New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Calculation Question on OG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
raudamduiker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Calculation Question on OG

Hi all!

I am relatively new to home brewing (just did my 7th batch on Monday).
I had a quick question regarding gravity.

Each one of my brews I measured, had an incredibly high OG. Much higher than I anticipated or the BeerSmith calls for. Initially I thought I just hit the mother load, but I think I have discovered a flaw in my measurements.
I basically add the 3 gal of wort to the bucket after cooling and then top it off with 2 gal of water, with a good amount of aeration that occurs.
When I take my measurement though, I tap a sample from the spigot at the bottom of the bucket, which is probably not well mixed with the water, thereby giving the effect of a much higher reading.

My question is this: Is there still a way to guestimate/calculate a more accurate OG?

Any insight will be most appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Troubs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome to the board. To guestimate what the OGs that you already have, I would just use what Beersmith calculated. In my experience, it's OG calculations are fairly accurate.

In the future, it sounds like you know what to do. Just ensure proper mixture of your wort and top off water and you should get an accurate reading! Shake the **** out of it and take a sample! That's what worked for me

Frank Sinatra - “I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

Last edited by Troubs; 10-14-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply