Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Calculating Volume of Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
milo_leon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Calculating Volume of Beer

Hello all-

Today I bottled my Triforce Stout- a Double Chocolate Stout from Austin Homebrew. I added raspberries, extra chocolate, and vanilla in the carboy (hence triforce) and let it sit for several weeks. I have to say, wow! it tastes good! Very raspberryish (almost no chocolate, I'm surprised) and I expect that to fade out over time and hopefully the chocolate will pop up.

Despite my glee of brewing a delicious beer, I was in quite a difficult situation. I had no idea how much beer I'd be able to get out of my carboy given I had a bag full of 3.75 lbs of raspberries and all the trub at the bottom. I managed to fill 32 12oz bottles and 7 22oz bombers, which means I got probably ~4.2 gallons or so.

This made it hard to calculate how much priming sugar to add but I had already guessimated that I had ~4 gallons so I basically poured in 4/5 of the priming sugar package that came with my kit. I definitely will be praying I didn't add too much (or too little, my previous IPA was seriously undercarbed) sugar lol.

I am wondering if there is a easy way to calculate volume by measuring how much beer is in my bottling bucket. I tried to do this method with my measurements of 12" high with a 6" radius. This gave me ~1357 cubic feet of beer in my bottling bucket. However, when I converted this to gallons, I got 5.8 gallons which is waaaay off.

I would greatly appreciate any help how to calculate how much beer is in a carboy (or bottling bucket).

EDIT: cubic inches, not feet Q.Q

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
LovesIPA
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 134

I would honestly be shocked if there aren't volume markings somewhere on the inside or outside of the bucket.

But ice cold water weighs 8.345404 lbs per gallon. If you have a reasonably accurate scale it shouldn't be too hard to work out.

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Old 10-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
milo_leon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesIPA View Post
I would honestly be shocked if there aren't volume markings somewhere on the inside or outside of the bucket.

But ice cold water weighs 8.345404 lbs per gallon. If you have a reasonably accurate scale it shouldn't be too hard to work out.
I was surprised that my bottling bucket and carboy did not have any sorts of marking on it. My primary bucket does, but that's it.

Wouldn't beer weight more than ice water due to all the sugars and yeast in it?

Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
LovesIPA
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo_leon View Post
I was surprised that my bottling bucket and carboy did not have any sorts of marking on it. My primary bucket does, but that's it.
That's genuinely strange.

Quote:
Wouldn't beer weight more than ice water due to all the sugars and yeast in it?
Yes but it's irrelevant. A gallon of beer is the same amount as a gallon of water.

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Old 10-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

I would suggest you put some markings on your vessels, add a gallon, make a mark and so on.

Also, never assume the markings already on a bucket are correct as there are people including me that have experienced they are not always accurate-it's just printed on and errors in production do happen

If you hold a light to the bottom side of a bucket you can see the trub layer and then see how much beer you actually have before racking.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesIPA View Post
Yes but it's irrelevant. A gallon of beer is the same amount as a gallon of water.
But a gallon of beer weighs more than a gallon of water. But as you say it is irrelevant because depending on the FG it would be only 1-2% more but being that much shy on your priming sugar is not going to be noticable anyway

Old 10-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo_leon
I tried to do this method with my measurements of 12" high with a 6" radius. This gave me ~1357 cubic feet of beer in my bottling bucket.
Redo that math!

Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #8
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 600 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Quote:
Hello all-

Today I bottled my Triforce Stout- a Double Chocolate Stout from Austin Homebrew. I added raspberries, extra chocolate, and vanilla in the carboy (hence triforce) and let it sit for several weeks. I have to say, wow! it tastes good! Very raspberryish (almost no chocolate, I'm surprised) and I expect that to fade out over time and hopefully the chocolate will pop up.

Despite my glee of brewing a delicious beer, I was in quite a difficult situation. I had no idea how much beer I'd be able to get out of my carboy given I had a bag full of 3.75 lbs of raspberries and all the trub at the bottom. I managed to fill 32 12oz bottles and 7 22oz bombers, which means I got probably ~4.2 gallons or so.

This made it hard to calculate how much priming sugar to add but I had already guessimated that I had ~4 gallons so I basically poured in 4/5 of the priming sugar package that came with my kit. I definitely will be praying I didn't add too much (or too little, my previous IPA was seriously undercarbed) sugar lol.

I am wondering if there is a easy way to calculate volume by measuring how much beer is in my bottling bucket. I tried to do this method with my measurements of 12" high with a 6" radius. This gave me ~1357 cubic feet of beer in my bottling bucket. However, when I converted this to gallons, I got 5.8 gallons which is waaaay off.

I would greatly appreciate any help how to calculate how much beer is in a carboy (or bottling bucket).
What? Something went wrong with your calculations. 12" is 1 foot. 6" is 0.5ft. So (pi x r^2 x h) is your volume, and it is (pi/4) cubic feet, not 1357.

Check out these cool kits at Know How Brews & Foods!

Big Jim Walker IIPA
Allagash-ishhh White Ale
Happy Hoppy Blonde Ale

Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
Redo that math!
I think he just messed up the units because he later said "=5.8 gallons"

Old 10-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #10
milo_leon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I admit I wasn't doing a great job with the calculations. I found an online calculator that would give me the cubic inches and then I just googled cubic inches to gallons. Math was never my strong suit. -bows head in shame-

Quick Reply