New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > BYO Recipe calls for rice syrup, LHBS only sell rice syrup powder...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
FormulaXFD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BYO Recipe calls for rice syrup, LHBS only sell rice syrup powder...

I decided to try my hand at my first goofy beer recipe, a knock off of DFH's Chateu Jiahu. (Recipe here: http://www.byo.com/stories/issue/article/issues/248-november-2007/450-dogfish-heads-chateau-jiahu-clone )

Now I have most of the ingredients on hand, or on order. The issue I have is the recipe is ambiguous on the powder or liquid. I'm going to assume it's expecting a liquid, in which case is there a water-to-powder ratio for reconstituting back into a liquid syrup? What would you guys do ( I have 2 lbs of powder just to CMA ) Searching, sadly, has not yielded any results (and google comes up with baby formula discussions).

Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1197 Times on 790 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Baby formula zomg!

That's tough. You could always calculate it out the gravity of the rice syrup, but all the other goofy ingredients makes it hard. For what it's worth, my brewing software seems to think that rice extract syrup should have a value of about 32 points per pound. That sounds about right; you could just adjust the volume you use until it hits something on those lines.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 AM   #3
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You live in Portland...go to a Market of Choice or any fancy schmancy grocery store, go to the baking section and look for rice syrup...shouldn't be a problem to find it.

If you can really only find powder (or don't want to order the syrup online if you can't find it in a store) I would go with the LME/DME concentration ratio...DME being 20% more concentrated weight-wise than LME. Or you can calculate how many points the rice syrup is supposed to get you based on the recipe using software (beersmith has about 1.032 PPG) then mix up a gallon of water and enough rice extract powder until you hit that same gravity, then add it to the kettle.

Hope this helps.

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Old 01-24-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
FormulaXFD
Recipes 

That works. Thanks guys I'll go the Hydrometer route.

Quick Reply