Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Buying bulk hops which ones??????? =]

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
ZamaMan
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Buying bulk hops which ones??????? =]

Hey all I gonna be buying some bulk hops from my LHBS. I mostly wanna get hops for my Ipas, amber's, and pale ales. I like stone brewings beers, flying dogs raging bitch, DFH 60 and 90 min ipa, sierra nevada pale ale.

With my taste in mind which hops should I get.
Just ordered a lb of simcoe hops for 30 bucks. Was thinking a lb of cascade, Amarillo which I think they might be out of. Want at least 2 more hops. Something for general bittering and something for over the top flavors. Was thinking chinnok, magnum centennial and columbus as good options for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
bgrayson726
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Centennial is like an "extreme" cascade. I am never using magnum again.. it gave me a really "chalky" sort of flavor. Columbus is a good hop, so is chinook. I'd suggest using centennial with cascade to really get that flavor.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

You can never gone wrong with Amarillo.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Centennial is ok, but I far prefer good old Cascade. Chinook is unique, works great alone in dark ales, and fills out a big hop profile as part of a blend in pales. +1 for Amarillo, it brings tasty stonefruit stuff.

You might get tired of the huge hop flavors, so make sure you get something mellow too. I suggest Crystal. It's quite versatile; it makes a dynamite hefeweizen, a zinging light lager, and blends well with typical AIPA hops.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZamaMan View Post
Hey all I gonna be buying some bulk hops from my LHBS. I mostly wanna get hops for my Ipas, amber's, and pale ales. I like stone brewings beers, flying dogs raging bitch, DFH 60 and 90 min ipa, sierra nevada pale ale.

Just ordered a lb of simcoe hops for 30 bucks. Was thinking a lb of cascade, Amarillo which I think they might be out of. Want at least 2 more hops. Something for general bittering and something for over the top flavors. Was thinking chinnok, magnum centennial and columbus as good options for me.
Dude 30 bucks for a lb??? You got ripped off man.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/store/

You can get 3lbs of hops for 30 bucks on this site depending on what hops you pick!

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Vance71975
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerandloathinginaustin View Post
You can never gone wrong with Amarillo.
+1 Amarillo is the S**T man!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
+1 Amarillo is the S**T man!
It kind of sucks for me that I love Rogue Yellow Snow IPA, found out it was all Amarillo, and brewed a clone as one of my first brews. I mean, it was great...but now I want to branch out and use different things but know I need at least 2oz of Amarillo in everything to really love it.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Vance71975
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerandloathinginaustin View Post
It kind of sucks for me that I love Rogue Yellow Snow IPA, found out it was all Amarillo, and brewed a clone as one of my first brews. I mean, it was great...but now I want to branch out and use different things but know I need at least 2oz of Amarillo in everything to really love it.
I feel your pain man, My Rye Brown Ale i just made got hit with 4oz Amarillo Dry hop just so i could get my Amarillo fix in the beer! But i also love me some fuggles,Chinook,Simcoe as well. Oh hell who am i kidding i just love hops, i have not used a single hop that i didn't like even cluster which makes many brewers cringe at the thought lol.

beerandloathinginaustin Likes This 
Old 07-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
Vance71975
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZamaMan View Post

Having a lb of each on hand is never a bad idea, you never know when your gonna get that itch to hop burst a beer with a full lb of hops, i have done it many many many times. Here is my list of what i like to keep on hand.

Amarillo
Fuggles(Us or UK either one)
Goldings(Us or UK either one)
Chinook
Cluster(i know i know everyone seems to hate this hop but its awesome in a cream ale)
Saaz
Columbus

Honestly if i had the money and storage space i would order a lb of every hop on the market lol.

te3b0r Likes This 
Old 07-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
Honestly if i had the money and storage space i would order a lb of every hop on the market lol.
I recently brewed 3 beers using a total of 26.2oz of hops and 27 different hops (for my marathon celebration). Just being able to go through and smell 27 different hops was amazing. Well worth the cost of buying them all an ounce at a time.

Quick Reply