New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Buttery/Cabbage'y

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
manoaction
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I noticed your recipes said a couple of times that you "stirred the cold wort gently" while adding a spice to it. Are you oxygenate your wort otherwise?

You should give your fermenters a vigorous shaking before or right after pitching. I splash and swish the cooled wort when it's going into the fermenter. This will give you a healthier fermentation and hopefully fight off those flavors.

You can get fancy with oxygen stones if you want, but it's important to oxygenate the wort, and it's easy to make sure the wort well shaken after it's cooled.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoaction View Post
I noticed your recipes said a couple of times that you "stirred the cold wort gently" while adding a spice to it. Are you oxygenate your wort otherwise?

You should give your fermenters a vigorous shaking before or right after pitching. I splash and swish the cooled wort when it's going into the fermenter. This will give you a healthier fermentation and hopefully fight off those flavors.

You can get fancy with oxygen stones if you want, but it's important to oxygenate the wort, and it's easy to make sure the wort well shaken after it's cooled.
Yea, I definitely shake my carboy for about 25 seconds or so (since it's only a 1-gallon jug) to oxidize my wort, and then I pitch my yeast.
I think the stirring you're referring to is when I added my spice tincture to my pumpkin ale after FG was reached. I then let it sit for another week

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 10-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Bump

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Old 10-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #14
JeffoC6
Recipes 

So that's it? Nobody's got anything else on this?

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Look, this may sound stupid, but I'm going to say it anyways, because most mistakes we make on here are stupid ones. So here goes....

I have never used WYeast, but you said you pitched "Wyeast London ESB Ale 1968- Per Mr. Malty- Pitch 1.3 packets. Only used 1."

- First, most people say that for an OG larger than 1.050, you should make a starter. Not that it's necessarily your problem, I'm just saying that's what I have heard.
- As I have never used Wyeast, I looked up an image of that yeast on google to see what it looked like and came up with this....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is this, or something like this, the yeast you used? Because that package says "100 billion yeast cells", according to Mr.Malty an O.G. of 1.078 (or even less 1.064), with a volume of 1 gallon, requires only 53 billion yeast cells. Therefore, if you pitched 1 package, you pitched nearly twice as much yeast as you needed, probably resulting in some serious off flavors.

Like, I said, I doubt that you made a mistake that silly, but you never know. So I thought I'd post it anyways.

Maybe a pic of the yeast you used would help?

Fermenter 1 - Centennial Pale Ale
Fermenter 2 - Nothing
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4 View Post
Look, this may sound stupid, but I'm going to say it anyways, because most mistakes we make on here are stupid ones. So here goes....

I have never used WYeast, but you said you pitched "Wyeast London ESB Ale 1968- Per Mr. Malty- Pitch 1.3 packets. Only used 1."

- First, most people say that for an OG larger than 1.050, you should make a starter. Not that it's necessarily your problem, I'm just saying that's what I have heard.
- As I have never used Wyeast, I looked up an image of that yeast on google to see what it looked like and came up with this....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is this, or something like this, the yeast you used? Because that package says "100 billion yeast cells", according to Mr.Malty an O.G. of 1.078 (or even less 1.064), with a volume of 1 gallon, requires only 53 billion yeast cells. Therefore, if you pitched 1 package, you pitched nearly twice as much yeast as you needed, probably resulting in some serious off flavors.

Like, I said, I doubt that you made a mistake that silly, but you never know. So I thought I'd post it anyways.

Maybe a pic of the yeast you used would help?
Here's a picture of the yeast I used:

Your point about 100 billion yeast cells in the package makes sense. However, why did Mr Malty tell me that I needed 1.3 packets (without a starter)? If I pitched 1, how would that be overpitching? I realize from a "yeast cell" standpoint it may have been, but are you saying that the information that Mr Malty spits out may not be always accurate?

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Old 10-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
jwalk4
Recipes 

Just so I know we are on the same page, http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html <- this is the website you used right?

When I plug in: 1.078 OG; 1.0 Volume U.S. Gallon; 97% viability; I get 53 Billion Yeast cells, or .6 of a vial or package needed without starter. If we are talking dry yeast, which WYeast is not (I don't think), I still get 53 billion yeast cells which is 3 grams of dry yeast.

I like mr. malty, but for your next brew, try and go by yeast cell count. I'm not saying it'll fix your problem,but at the very least, it'll give you something to look forward to so you won't be discouraged!

Fermenter 2 - Nothing
Drinking - Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Maybe because of the pumpkin you could or should maybe have done a longer mash or boil possibly. And what kind of pumpkin spiced premix did you add,did it have preservative/additive junk in it? I know only 2 oz is not much though. I think the buttery/diacytal would be from the london yeast(I dont know though I never used that but alot of those stains are known for diayctal.
PUmpkin can add a slickness to body also that is common.
Do you check your mash ph, I have those strips which come in handy,it gives me control of if I need to add salts to my water.You use filtered water?Spring?
Is it possible the vegetale taste may just be from the pumpkin taste?
HOw cool are you getting your wort before pitching and are you aerating/adding oxygen once it cools before pitching?

Old 10-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
jwalk4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
I think the buttery/diacytal would be from the london yeast(I dont know though I never used that but alot of those stains are known for diayctal.
This is also true, Yooper mentioned this in another Diacytel related thread. "Some English strains have notable diacetyl production, and I've had issues with it in some lager strains and even a hybrid lager strain (San Francisco lager yeast)." (Yooper, post #13 http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/buttery-bad-taste-320784/index2.html)

Fermenter 2 - Nothing
Drinking - Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply