Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Buttery Bad Taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
Trokair
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I will test it after chilling when i get back into town. Nobody else has tried it yet to give me their opinion. Im not sure of the exact time to cool but i was using the ice bath method and i think it took at least 30 minutes.

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Chilling wouldn't have anything to do with the buttery flavor you're getting. It's a problem with fermentation or infection. You may have posted this, but what yeast strain did you use, what was your fermentation temp, and for how long?

In the Keg: Nothing Currently
In Secondary: Nothing Currently
In Bottles:Oblivion RIS, EdWort's Apfelwein
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently

Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4957 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Diacetyl is sometimes a common flavor in some ale yeast strains (notably ringwood ale yeast), but for the most part it's a flaw. A couple of causes are stressed yeast and infection like mentioned.

Underpitching of yeast, and variations in temperature can cause it, as can cold crashing too soon. I don't know if two months in the primary can cause it, although it could. Lack of aeration could definitely cause diacetyl production, and can too-high fermentation temperatures (again, a stressed yeast reaction).

Normally, the yeast create diacetyl as a byproduct of fermentation. Some yeast strains are especially prone to this and usually after active fermentation is done the yeast will go back and digest some of their own waste products like diacetyl. But if the yeast is underpitched, it may be too worn out to go back and finish up the "clean up" so to speak. Fermentation temperatures are generally raised right at the tail end of fermentation, to encourage the yeast to finish up and get to the FG and then clean up any diacetyl. If the fermenter got cold at that time, it would inhibit this process.

I've never left a beer in the primary for two months, but in theory that could be a factor as diacetyl is a byproduct of yeast activity. Some English strains have notable diacetyl production, and I've had issues with it in some lager strains and even a hybrid lager strain (San Francisco lager yeast).

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #14
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would think sitting on a yeast cake for too long wouldn't result in diacetyl. I doubt there could be enough production by any new yeast that has grown up to produce it. The only risk of leaving it on two long would be autolysis. I've seen plenty of ales left on yeast cakes much longer than two months without an evidence of autolysis though. I'm not hugely experienced though. If someone else has heard of diacetyl from leaving on a yeast cake too long I won't refute it.

In the Keg: Nothing Currently
In Secondary: Nothing Currently
In Bottles:Oblivion RIS, EdWort's Apfelwein
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently

Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Trokair
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Update on the butter flavor. It has mostly aged out of the beer after a few weeks in the bottle. There is still a little of the taste on the back end of a drink but not noticeable unless you are looking for it. Now i just have a really hoppy Belgian dubbel. Didn't strain the wort when i put it in primary. Hopefully that will mellow out with a few more weeks in the bottle. Thanks everyone for the input.

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not straining the hops out of the wort will not make any difference in the hop level. Every day the hop taste will get a little less.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Quick Reply