Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Buttery Bad Taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Trokair
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Buttery Bad Taste

So I just finished bottling my first beer. It was an extract Belgian Dubbel. Sat in primary for 60 days. Went to test it and it tasted like butter and alcohol. I had just bottled my first wine a week before and got the same taste in the wine. Anyone have any idea what this is? The equipment, water, sanitizer (star san), and the airlock medium (vodka) were all the same for both. Help!!

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
Trokair
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouperdude View Post
This was this a lager? It sounds like you didn't do a D rest. If I was an ale then you left it in the primary too long and possibly autolysis. What temp did you ferment at we need more info
Belgian Dubbel Ale, no D rest necessary. Fermenting temp was between 65 and 70 the entire time.

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
eppo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Boil with the lid on? Take a long time to cool wort?
Ferment in a country crock bucket? J/k

Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouperdude View Post
This was this a lager? It sounds like you didn't do a D rest. If I was an ale then you left it in the primary too long and possibly autolysis. What temp did you ferment at we need more info
It is not from leaving it on the yeast too long. I leave big beers on the yeast for a long time on a regular basis.

We do need more info about the recipe and your process to help us figure it out.

How long has it been bottled? Belgians seem to need some time in the bottle to mellow out the flavors. If it is young, just let it sit and the flavor will mellow.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
Trokair
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
It is not from leaving it on the yeast too long. I leave big beers on the yeast for a long time on a regular basis.

We do need more info about the recipe and your process to help us figure it out.

How long has it been bottled? Belgians seem to need some time in the bottle to mellow out the flavors. If it is young, just let it sit and the flavor will mellow.
It is young, was not boiled with the lid on, did take a fairly long ammount of time to cool (not chiller yet). I was hoping that taste would mellow out of the wine but now that it is in my beer as well I am dreading something of a more sinister nature.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #6
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eppo View Post
Boil with the lid on? Take a long time to cool wort?
Ferment in a country crock bucket? J/k
Those would produce DMS not diacetyl which is what the buttery taste would be as opposed to the corn like flavor dms would produce. Diacetyl is either produced because the yeast didn't get enough time to eat of the diacetyl they produced or theres a pediococcus infection which can also produce diacetyl.

In the Keg: Nothing Currently
In Secondary: Nothing Currently
In Bottles:Oblivion RIS, EdWort's Apfelwein
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently
In Design: Saison de Erin

Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Trokair
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfPR View Post
Those would produce DMS not diacetyl which is what the buttery taste would be as opposed to the corn like flavor dms would produce. Diacetyl is either produced because the yeast didn't get enough time to eat of the diacetyl they produced or theres a pediococcus infection which can also produce diacetyl.
Would pediococcus normally have visible signs? And would it survive in higher percentages of alchohol like in wine? I didn't have any floaters in the beer and the wine was crystal clear.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Faseel
Recipes 

Well just a bit more detail please sir . How long is long on your cooling process? When sanitizing equipment is it a dunk or do you let it soak and or just stay wet with the starsan?

Old 04-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Draken
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouperdude
Absolutely not. Diacetyl is what causes the buttery flavor. It's typically caused by under aerating the yeast or not leaving it in the primary until primary fermentation is complete. It is not related to autolysis. It can also be caused by fermenting at too low a temp...

Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

chill it and re-taste. Diacetyl is more pronounced at warmer temps. many people making lagers will pull a sample, warm it up and taste it to see if a D-rest is needed.

Also, do other people taste this (don't ask them if they taste butter...have them taste it and then honestly tell you what they detect).
Diacetyl also can have a slick mouthfeel in addition to the flavor...do you detect this?

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply