Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Butterscotch Taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
hefehawk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Butterscotch Taste

Drinking my first home brew and have a slight to moderate butterscotch taste. Nothing too overwhelming, but it is there. I read the How to Brew book by Palmer and it says it is from diacetyl which could be from infection, pitch rate and poor aeration methods. I don't think it is an infection cause it doesn't really taste that bad, and I don't think it is from pitch rate as it was violently bubbling within 12 hours and my final gravity was on point at 1.014. However, I think it could be lack of aeration, but my main suspicion is from getting too much trub into the keg as I racked it to the keg.

Is getting too much trub the possible butterscotch taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Normally this is the diacytel and you need to leave on the yeast and get the temp to about 70 degrees for a couple of days. This is noticable normally with lager yeasts,. It is not likely the trub as some brew with the trub. I personally do not worry about trub. What kind of beer and what yeast as you did not supply much info.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Agreed - more info would help. What yeast, what temp, how long did you ferment, how much did you pitch, how did you aerate. Trub shouldn't be the issue.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
hefehawk
Recipes 

I brewed a frankensteined American Hefeweizen kit. I say that cause the kit I got from my LHBS was not complete and he gave me the best fits and then I still had to go somewhere else for an extra can of Wheat Extract. I pitched a White Labs 320 yeast in a vial. I fermented for a total of 2 1/2 weeks with an OG of 1.050 and FG of 1.014.

I will run down what I think went wrong. During the steeping of the specialty grains, I accidentally got the water to 180 degrees for a few minutes. I probably didn't do a good enough job of aeration as I racked the cooled wort to a better bottle with an auto siphon. I shook the better bottle a little, but probably could have done more. During the initial fermentation, I didn't know where to set my temperature controller since this was the first time I was using it. I think the temps may have been a little too hot since I put a gallon of water in there and checked it and it was 75 degrees. I lowered the controller and got the water to stay at 67 degrees for the remaining fermentation. When I racked to a keg, I was trying to get every drop and probably got too much trub and sludge in the keg.

What's funny, is that the butterscotch doesn't even taste bad, just wasn't what I was looking for. My wife loves it as she loves fruity beers.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I'd think of fermentation temp first as the culprit if you were at 75* for the first part of fermentation. I haven't used 320 but it's supposed to be similar if not equivalent to wyeast 1010, which I use frequently and get very clean flavors fermenting at 65-66.

When I started brewing I had diacetyl problems with WL001 fermenting around 70*(even though per white labs "optimum" temp is 68-73*). Haven't had any problems since changing to 64-65* for all the chico strains.

What is your set up - you have a temp controller in a water bath?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
hefehawk
Recipes 

No, i just let it dangle. I have a gallon of water in there and check that temp. My second beer is fermenting now and i have 66 degree temps everytime i temp the water.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
hefehawk
Recipes 

Should i take the keg out and let it sit at room temp for a week?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
bobeer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I want to say that I've read if you take too long cooling the wort down you can get a butterscotch taste. How long did it take for you cool the wort down? My first batch I was stupid and didn't plan ahead so it took over an hour to cool to pitching temp. The result was kind of what you're describing. Of course off fermentation temps can also cause off flavors. In my first brews case I was at 63-65 degrees so I don't think that was my issue.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again."
-Groucho Marx

I'm couch surfing in the middle of moving. Will brew soon!
Keg 1: Empty
Keg 2: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
Primary: Empty
On Deck: Ava ale, Red Ryes ale, Priceless Pup Brown,

Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
ak-71
Recipes 

I had butterscotch taste with 1010 which got hot ~70-72F (sitting in a 60-62F room), it went away fast when I raised temp to 72 after the fermentation was done. I wouldn't worry too much

Old 05-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
I'd think of fermentation temp first as the culprit if you were at 75* for the first part of fermentation. I haven't used 320 but it's supposed to be similar if not equivalent to wyeast 1010, which I use frequently and get very clean flavors fermenting at 65-66.

When I started brewing I had diacetyl problems with WL001 fermenting around 70*(even though per white labs "optimum" temp is 68-73*). Haven't had any problems since changing to 64-65* for all the chico strains.

What is your set up - you have a temp controller in a water bath?
I duct tape it to the fermenter. I get way less on and off cycling that way, and easily keep my temps within 1 degree of the target temp after it initially equalizes. 75 is too warm. If it was 75 in a water bath or air temp in your chamber, it could easily have been the low 80s in your fermenter.

The diacetyl rest mentioned above has given me good results with all yeast types I've tried it with. Largely, as mentioned, it's a quirk of lager yeasts, but I've just noticed it gives that last little kick to the ferm process and allows the yeast to clean up after itself.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Quick Reply