Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > burnt spot on bottom of wort??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
kfgolfer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default burnt spot on bottom of wort??

Hi.

I just finished transferring my wort to the glass carboy and noticed a few burnt marks on the bottom of my wort?? Will this be a problem? I thought I was very careful in constantly stirring during the boil cycle but somehow still got a few burn marks.. will this ruin my beer??????????? or is there still a chance it will turn out ok?

thanks...

Also, I used a couple different kind of hop pellets in this batch. I assume I was supposed to strain by cooled wort before pouring into the glass carboy, correct??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2006, 01:11 AM   #2
desiderata

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfgolfer
Hi.

I just finished transferring my wort to the glass carboy and noticed a few burnt marks on the bottom of my wort?? Will this be a problem? I thought I was very careful in constantly stirring during the boil cycle but somehow still got a few burn marks.. will this ruin my beer??????????? or is there still a chance it will turn out ok?

thanks...

Also, I used a couple different kind of hop pellets in this batch. I assume I was supposed to strain by cooled wort before pouring into the glass carboy, correct??
From what I've read, scorching might affect the flavor of the beer. But, relax and wait to see how it tastes in the end. Certainly, I wouldn't dump it.

You can strain the hops out at anytime before bottling. If they got into the primary or secondary, it is no problem. Many brewers specifically add hops to the secondary, called "dry hopping". Using different kinds of hops is fine also. RDWHAHB.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:20 AM   #3
dancingbarefoot
Recipes 

I had the same problem with my current batch, because my stainless steel pot doesn't have a very thick bottom. I just popped open the first bottles last night, though, and there's no burn flavor. I'd say wait and see.

Fry: Ooo! Let me feel.
Leela: Have you thought about what to name it?
Bender: I was thinking Benderbrau if it's an ale, Botweiser if it's a lager.
Fry: I hope it's a lager so I can take it to a ball game.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:53 AM   #4
kfgolfer
Recipes 

Great. Thanks for the feedback. I hope it will taste ok because it was a lot of work!! I guess my stainless steel pot has a thin bottom as well. I stirred the heck out of it so I am really surprised it had burn marks.

any way I can avoid this next time, short of buying another pot because this one cost me $50

Old 12-03-2006, 02:16 AM   #5
nosnhojr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

On my very first brew, I used LME and scorched it a bit. The LME sank straight to the bottom, and I hadn't turned down the burner. Doh!

The beer came out fine.

Did you taste the wort? For me, that's one of the advantages of measuring OG -- you get a small sample for tasting!

on tap: raspberry melomel
primary: first all-grain!

Old 12-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Get a burner diffuser at a kitchen store. Mine is a perforated steel plate. It isn't very thick, but it does the job.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
kfgolfer
Recipes 

David 42,
I'm not sure what a burner diffuser is? can you explain? I also cook with a gas stove...

Old 12-03-2006, 09:29 PM   #8
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I know someone, yeah that's right, some other guy, that had such a bad scorch on the keggle that the brew came out looking like a dark porter as opposed to a medium ale. I, I mean he, let it sit in primary for 9 days then to secondary where it is at 3 weeks & counting. Tastes like an extremely over-hopped bitter but it has definitely subsided since brew day. In fact, one of the secondaries tastes like a burnt chocolate chip cookie, which I happen to love. I think with an extra long conditioning period, it will be good.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 12-04-2006, 02:44 AM   #9
Jack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Call it a rauchbier.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 AM   #10
artfldodger
Recipes 

a few small burn marks wont do anything noticeable... at least in my experience.

Quick Reply