New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Burner/kettle question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
Mumford
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Burner/kettle question

Hey all. So I'm getting prepared to brew my first batch. I'm somewhere in the middle of obtaining all the supplies and I've hit a speed bump with the kettle. Eventually I would like to do AG brews so I'd like to get some lasting equipment right at the start.

I have a 21 qt Granite-Ware pot (a recent gift so I could return it) but the problem is that the stove which I'll be doing the boiling is a glass top and the pot has a ridged bottom so heating will be an issue.

I've been researching the turkey fryer option and it seems much better, as in faster boiling times, not being in the kitchen, rolling boils easier, etc.

Here are my questions: I'd like to avoid aluminum kettles so should I spring for a SS fryer kit?
If the pot is big enough will I have to do much upgrading later for an AG setup?
Should I just look for a individual burner unit so I use my Granite-Ware?

As you can see I'm pretty new here so any input would be swell.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
slomo

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would say that if you are looking into going all grain right off the bat I would say return the gift, and go for the fryer kit. The bigger the pot the better. good luck and welcome to HBT

Primary: guinness clone, IIPA
Secondary:
Bottled: RIS
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 07-10-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
JMSetzler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I second the motion on getting a fryer kit. Being able to do full boils is a good thing. I'm not so sure I'd return the 21qt kettle though. It will be useful for other things.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I second the motion on getting a fryer kit. Being able to do full boils is a good thing. I'm not so sure I'd return the 21qt kettle though. It will be useful for other things.
Turkey fryer kit is a great thing and I second the idea of keeping the 21qt kettle. I use my old boil kettle (16qt) as a hot liquor tank for heating up my strike and sparge water.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:17 AM   #5
BeerArchitect54
Recipes 

I just got a fryer and 30 qt. pot for 100 bucks... Aluminum but its fine.. you really dont need SS... Its a myth....

Cold Conditioning - 2 Gal. - Extract - Cascadia Pale Ale -- (Citra Secondary Dry Hop)
Secondary - 5 Gal. - Extract - English Pale Ale (BB Kit) - (Citra Secondary Dry Hop)
NEXT - 5 Gal. - Extract - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale
NEXT - 5 Gal. - Extract - The Innkeeper Pale Ale (NB Kit)

Old 07-10-2009, 03:19 AM   #6
BeerArchitect54
Recipes 

Aluminum VS. Steel

Cold Conditioning - 2 Gal. - Extract - Cascadia Pale Ale -- (Citra Secondary Dry Hop)
Secondary - 5 Gal. - Extract - English Pale Ale (BB Kit) - (Citra Secondary Dry Hop)
NEXT - 5 Gal. - Extract - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale
NEXT - 5 Gal. - Extract - The Innkeeper Pale Ale (NB Kit)

Old 07-10-2009, 03:25 AM   #7
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I agree with most everything said here. I would suggest the turkey fryer and keep the pot for sparging as a HLT. I would also suggest getting an aluminum turkery fryer pot as this is what I have and it works great. I was able to get a great turkey fryer kit of craigslist for $40 brand new. SS versions fyers limit your choices and I don't see the advantage besides looks. To each his own though.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Mumford
Recipes 

The reason I would be avoiding aluminum is my father (used to brew in college and he has it in his head that aluminum is no good). I've read all the debates about SS vs Alum and frankly this alum a cheaper/reliable option, so maybe I can convince him.

Anyway, another question/worry I had was about propane. Being a college student, my income is fairly limited so how much does propane add to the cost of a batch? I know it's all going to be relative so I'm not looking for the most precise answers just a ballpark.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've heard that a high-powered burner (like a Kick-a-Banjo 210K BTU) will chew through a 20lb propane tank in about 5 batches.

I would assume that a turkey fryer (usually around 60K BTU) will last a couple more, but since the KAB isn't going to be running at full power, don't expect to triple your time-to-empty.

PS I use a 10 gallon aluminum pot, no issues yet. It'd probably be 2-3x as heavy if it were SS, and I would've paid twice as much.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Quick Reply