The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Build a yeast starter all at once or in batches?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
jcryan2
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Build a yeast starter all at once or in batches?

I am looking the the Bohemian Pilsener recipe in this month's BYO magazine. Jamil recommends a large nine liter yeast starter for this brew. Which would be a better approach to making this large of a starter: Boil up a single 9L batch, pitch the yeast, and let it ferment to completition over several days or make a series of smaller volume batches, say two or three liters, pitch the yeast and let grow for 48 hours or so, decant the spent wort, add a fresh wort batch and repeat a couple of times.

Thoughts everyone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Most people suggest stepping up the starter over time, unless you have a 10,000 mL flask (I'm pretty sure thats what Jamil uses).

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcryan2 View Post
pitch the yeast and let grow for 48 hours or so, decant the spent wort, add a fresh wort batch and repeat a couple of times.
Although I prefer stepping up a starter over making one large starter to begin with, there will be a large amount of active yeast in the "spent" wort that you decant. In fact, you will be throwing away the most active yeast.
For each step, I would chill the starter for at least 24 hours to settle the yeast before decanting.
Having said that, I must say that what I would do is not necessarily correct.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
jcryan2

Recipes 

Jamil discusses pitching the yeast to the wort at 44 degrees and bringing it up to 50 degrees during primary. Would that not suggest the yeast starter should be in the same temperature range to avoid temperature shock? That would lead me to believe each stepping step of the starter could take a week. Or am I approaching this all wrong?

Quick Reply