Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bud Light clone

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #31
doubletapbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For my first brew I brewed the brewer best American light. Getting ready to bottle on Wednesday, don't know how that compares.

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #32
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryAvgGuy View Post
No my friend. I am just curious why one would expend the effort to make crappy tasting (IMO) beer when there are so many more flavorful options.
I will agree on one point with you. Bud Light is flawed. If poured into a glass, you can smell and taste DMS.

This makes me want to do better. I currently have a Miller Lite clone in the primary. I also have a Vienna lager in primary, recently kegged Czech Amber, an American wit, as well as IPA APA and Bopils in my fridge.

Not a huge fan of lite beers myself but I do like variety and every now and then I want something light to wash down the pizza or chineese takeout. Its also good to have on tap for non craft drinkers when they visit.

I took it as a huge compliment when my bud lite swilling neighbor tasted bud lite and a rice lager I brewed side by side and obviously preferred mine over his bud.

So that is why I would brew a lite beer.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #33
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Well, I don't like Belgians. I don't come onto a forum and tell people that they are ignorant if they like something I don't. I could call Belgians "bubblegum fruit drops" and all kinds of things because I don't like them.

People like what they like. Saying things like it's "horse piss" and that stuff just make people sound silly. If you don't like it, bully for you. But others do. But acting like it's cool to be an arrogant jerk isn't "cool" at all- it's ridiculous.

Tell you what. When you brew a perfect Bud Light clone, please share it with us. Instead of denigrating it, why not find out about the style, and then find out that it's probably THE hardest brew to homebrew perfectly. Until then, you just sound like an arrogant beer snob who doesn't appreciate what he doesn't understand.
Arrogant jerk? Arrogant beer snob?

Well I suppose I'll take that as a complement since I have been called much worse.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #34
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCOLA

I will agree on one point with you. Bud Light is flawed. If poured into a glass, you can smell and taste DMS.

Not since that beers inception in the early 80's have I ever encountered this.

Their brewing process makes the presence of DMS nearly impossible.

From BYO;
Anheuser-Busch (A-B) uses a device called a volatile stripper that forces hot air over thin films of wort after wort boiling to remove undesirable aromas such as DMS (dimethyl sulfide, which smells like cooked corn). Although A-B has adopted the philosophy of minimizing oxygen pick-up during mashing, mash transfer, and wort collection, the company still uses the wort stripper to make very pale-colored beers.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #35
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCOLA View Post

This makes me want to do better. I currently have a Miller Lite clone in the primary. I also have a Vienna lager in primary, recently kegged Czech Amber, an American wit, as well as IPA APA and Bopils in my fridge.

Not a huge fan of lite beers myself but I do like variety and every now and then I want something light to wash down the pizza or chineese takeout. Its also good to have on tap for non craft drinkers when they visit.

I took it as a huge compliment when my bud lite swilling neighbor tasted bud lite and a rice lager I brewed side by side and obviously preferred mine over his bud.

So that is why I would brew a lite beer.
Now there's a good reason. I may have to give an American Light Lager a try for friends of mine who actually enjoy BL.
RCCOLA Likes This 
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #36
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
Not since that beers inception in the early 80's have I ever encountered this.

Their brewing process makes the presence of DMS nearly impossible.

From BYO;
Anheuser-Busch (A-B) uses a device called a volatile stripper that forces hot air over thin films of wort after wort boiling to remove undesirable aromas such as DMS (dimethyl sulfide, which smells like cooked corn). Although A-B has adopted the philosophy of minimizing oxygen pick-up during mashing, mash transfer, and wort collection, the company still uses the wort stripper to make very pale-colored beers.
That process is so they can get away with a 45 min boil. Pour one and try it. Ill be surprised if you can honestly say you dont taste cabbagy flavors.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #37
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3058 Times on 1925 Posts
Likes Given: 2595

Quote:
Why delete Revvy's comment? I was looking forward to reading it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider123 View Post
Yeah, where did it go? I didn't see anything so wrong that it had to be removed.
It's fine to come onto this forum and say a beer tastes like horse piss to you. There are beers I'd say that about too.

It's fine to come on here and propose all sorts of AB monopolistic theories, etc. Great, maybe you're right, dunno.

It is NOT OK to call each other names and attempt to belittle another poster. If you don't like what another poster posted, either ignore, respond without provocation, or click the report button . Name-calling and belligerent posts are counter productive and will be removed.
RCCOLA Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #38
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebrau

Do you know of a link to that recipe? I'd actually be very interested to look at it.
It was in Zymurgy's September/October issues.
Volume 35* No. 5 page l

Old 01-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #39
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
I was looking for recipes the other day and came across a bud light clone.

Discovering this begs the question "Why would you want to clone piss water"?

Don't most of us make our own beer because it is good?

Just seem like a waste of effort and good grains.
I dont condone drinking or brewing any type of piss beer..but just make a light colored lager using pilsner,rice syrup, hallertau hops,wyeast 2035 and beano..filter it and try to drink it..good luck just so you know thats the hardest style of beer to brew..start with ales you need more equiptment to brew beer like that..not trying to discourage just my 2 cents..have fun
Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #40
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
It's fine to come onto this forum and say a beer tastes like horse piss to you. There are beers I'd say that about too.

It's fine to come on here and propose all sorts of AB monopolistic theories, etc. Great, maybe you're right, dunno.

It is NOT OK to call each other names and attempt to belittle another poster. If you don't like what another poster posted, either ignore, respond without provocation, or click the report button . Name-calling and belligerent posts are counter productive and will be removed.
Thank you but I still see Yoopers self-righteous rant appearing in this thread.

This is a forum and I can damn well express my opinion that Bud Light taste like horse piss regardless of how "difficult" it is to make. Nothing I have said in this thread has broken the rules.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply