Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bucket Spigot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 01:44 AM   #1
fhk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bucket Spigot

Is there any reason not to use a bucket with a spigot for fermenting then draw off to a keg rather than siphon? If OK, how far up from the bottom would you install the spigot?
I seem to draw up alot of yeast when siphoning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
CanAusBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My PET fermenter has a tap about 2 inches of the bottom and the tap has am attachment that makes it draw from above. I bottle directly from my fermenter bit use hop sack for dry hop to reduce trub. I reckon if you're installing your own tap you should install it so it draws from above. I have no issues with junk ending up in my beer.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #3
fhk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Draw from above, like a short pipe and elbow?

Old 08-03-2014, 02:04 AM   #4
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

Don't stick the siphon all the way down to the bottom. Start somewhere in the middle and when you see the beer surface get near the end of the siphon keep lowering it slowly to keep it under the beer. Then when there's an inch or 3 left to go, carefully and slowly tilt the bucket / fermentor to increase the depth of the pool. As soon as you see most beer is gone and you'd risk picking up yeast, pull the siphon up. Another pair of hands really helps.

The leftover yeast can be reused as long as you keep proper sanitation.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 08-03-2014, 02:06 AM   #5
madscientist451
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been told the "bottling bucket" with a spigot is less sanitary than one without a spigot, more places for bacteria to hide, I suppose.
I use a bucket with a spigot for my primary, attach a hose and rack off to secondary carboy, its just easier for me. I do have to siphon from the secondary to another container with a spigot, but there's less yeast to worry about then. My method is a little outdated, but it works for me.
The downside, once I had the spigot shear off at the bucket for an unknown reason. A whole bucket of Fullers London Pride Porter clone
leaked all over my beer storage area and soaked into the wood floor before I discovered it. What a mess!

Old 08-03-2014, 02:08 AM   #6
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 368

I have used Bottling Buckets for years as fermenters.......

I love using them as it eliminates siphoning. The one caution I would mention is you have to make sure you are really good about sanitizing the spigot - take it apart, clean, sanitize. I put it all back together under starsan water in a tub. I also put a baggie over it with rubberband during fermentation to keep dust, fruit flies, etc. out of it. I respray it with starsan before draining into keg. With a little care and attention to detail, they make great fermenters.

Primary: Heady Topper Clone, Session IPA, Porter, Plain ol American Ale
Secondary/Lagering:
Future Brews: Heady Topper Clone, Ordinary Bitter, Dortmunder, Pilsner, Scottish 70, More...... More....... Beer.......
People Like This 
Old 08-03-2014, 02:14 AM   #7
cardfan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have spigots on most of my fermenters, its easier than a siphon and cuts down on oxygen getting into your beer during transfer. I would drill your hole a couple of inches from the bottom. I did once have a spigot that leaked a little during fermentation so make sure that it is clean and tight.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:40 AM   #8
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Just buy a brewcraft 8 gallon bucket, they come with a threaded spot for a spigot already, so you can just drill out the back and screw in the spigot. Less chances of it failing. And 8 gallon buckets never need blow offs

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 08-03-2014, 03:59 AM   #9
fhk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
Just buy a crewcraft 8 gallon bucket, they come with a threaded spot for a spigot already, so you can just drill out the back and screw in the spigot. Less chances of it failing. And 8 gallon buckets never need blow offs
Nice! Every time I buy something I find out there is something better! I wonder if my Gamma lids will fit these?

Old 08-03-2014, 06:01 AM   #10
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Oops fixed, brewcraft not crewcraft

They are great buckets

Trust me you don't need gamma lids on these things. Imagine the hardest lid you have ever had to deal with and multiply it by two to get how tough the brewcraft lids are. Once you use them a bit its easier but the first few times take some serious mashing

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Quick Reply