The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bucket lid very loose

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 02:29 AM   #11
smokewater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Mine is just about as hard to get back off too. I keep thinking about a bucket opener tool but so far I have been able to pry it up on one side using both hands and then working my way around. It snaps on pretty tight though.

Mine literally just sits on top. Looking at the thickness of the bucket lid compared to the slot in the lid I don't think it would go on without breaking. My guess is its not supposed to seal. My bottling bucket has a thinner seal that looks like it would fit better. I am going to trust the CO2 blanket and go with a loose lid. I figure any blowover that might occur would be less explosive that way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
arbiadya
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The lid on my 6.5G primary bucket is loose as well. Although it fits on the bucket, its not tight at all. I can literally spin it around the rim of the bucket with one finger. The lid says "ROPAK" on top of it and came with the Brewer's Best kit.

However, I didn't have any issues with the fermentation with my first batch. The FG was right at the target after 4 days. The lid being loose and thus not air tight, I did not see any bubbling activity on my airlock. So that concerned me initially, until I used a hydrometer to check the SG to see if the fermentation was going on well.

So all being said, loose lid shouldn't worry anyone. Yeast will do what its supposed to do.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 699 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 215

That Ropak lid should fit tight on you bucket, so tight that it may take a substantial amount of pressure to make it seat. Start on the side closest to where you are standing and press down with both hands close together and press HARD, then work your way around from there until it snaps into place. Most of the time the seal will be airtight. The only caveat is that it will be just about as hard to remove the lid.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I agree with RM. I don't think you're pushing down hard enough on that Ropak lid and seating it. They are tighter than Dick's Hatband when seated. And Dick wears a tight hat, believe me.

I had to lean with nearly all my weight on the edge of mine to seat it fully the first time then hammer around it to finish sealing it. 3 different types of buckets. They loosen up after being on the bucket for awhile but are still VERY tight.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #15
donovanmaxwell
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Have any of you tried installing any sort of rubber seal? I bet a 1/8" rubber o-ring of the proper circumference would help. Though, if it ain't broke don't fix it, right?

Reason I ask I I just completed my 2nd AG brew Friday and I want to make the move to 10 gallon batches some time in the not too distant future, but really don't want to plop down the $$ on several more carboys when buckets seem to work as well and are much cheaper and easier to store when not in use.

I realize the CO2 makes a pretty effective seal against the bad stuff during fermentation. Have any of you found problems after taking a gravity reading(s) at 3-4 weeks in your buckets?

Quick Reply