Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bucket lid question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
patd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bucket lid question

I ordered another primary fermenter from Midwest, and the lid does not have a rubber seal inside like me AHBS bucket. Is that normal, or do I need to go round up a lid seal at my local store?

Sorry for the stupid question....but I'd rather ask now than post up in a month that latest brew was ruined because my bucket wasn't sealed properly

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
DBONES
Recipes 

Location: Illinois - Where our ex-governors make our license plates!
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have Ale Pails from Midwest and they seem to seal just fine!!

Plans are what you make when you want to hear God laugh!!!

Old 01-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
punk_rockin2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've used a bucket from them as well, but I didn't feel like it sealed well, so I never used it again. Mine was sealed so poorly that most of the carbon dioxide from the fermenter went out the sides, and not out of the airlock. Very nerve wracking, especially since you can't see inside the bucket. It now makes an excellent holder for my brushes, racking canes, mash paddles, etc.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Call and ask them about it. Could have been missed somehow. You could also put a bead of silicone caulk on the lid and make your own seal.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

None of my ale pails have a rubber seal inside.

It really doesn't matter, you realy don't want/need it to be airtight. As long as co2 is getting out, either from the airlock (thats it's intended purpose as a valve) or under the lid, you won't paint your ceiling with beer. And if co2 is getting out nothing is getting in.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-24-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Revvy, wouldn't it increase the odds of contamination if the lid wasn't airtight? Granted, by probably a miniscule amount, or do you think it wouldn't be enough to really worry about?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
RyanK2
Recipes 

Nothing to worry about. I just did a Hefe with a shipping lid just laying on top. Turned out great.

Bottled: Weihenstephan Hefe Clone, Kärcher Bock, Kölsch, Oktober Wheat, Simcoe Slam IPA, Apfelwein, Red Trappist Dubbel, Dunkleweizen, Simcoe Slam IIPA, Hoppy Hefe, Come All Ye Faithful Christmas Ale, Gingerbread Ale, Wits End Kristal Wit, Kärcher Haus Pale, Nocturia Black IPA......too many.

http://walledlakebrewing.blogspot.com

Old 01-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_city_ap View Post
Revvy, wouldn't it increase the odds of contamination if the lid wasn't airtight? Granted, by probably a miniscule amount, or do you think it wouldn't be enough to really worry about?
many folks just cover their fermenter buckets with a piece of plexiglass letting the co2 push out between where the plexiglass and the bucket meet. Others cover their carboy mouth with tinfoil. Totally ignoring the need for either an airlock OR a bucket cover.

A lot of folks, especially folks with arthritis, barely even put the lid on tight at all, they just lay it on top. again, if co2 is getting out, NOTHING nasty can get in. And that really is all that matters.

As I said, if co2 is getting out nothing is getting in.

It's really that simple.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

I don't know how I missed that in your first post. Looking at it now I feel like an idiot for not catching that. Gotta slow my eyeballs down I guess.

Quick Reply