Bucket brew odor-how to clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
So I just finished my first brew, cleaned everything pretty well but my primary still has an ale odor.

What's the best way to eliminate it, will oxy clean do the job? Also, is it ok to use a dish sponge (new) with the abrasive side? Just wondering because I don't want to make any scratches in the plastic.

After emptying my fermenter I wash it with warm water and PBW, rinse and let dry. Mine has an odor of hops (which I love), but it doesn't impact the next batch regardless of what's next. I guess you could soak overnight with OxyClean or PBW and see if it helps, I don't sweat it. Don't use anything other than soft cloths or a sponge to clean, not even the 'safe' plastic scrubby side of the sponge.

Do not scrape it !

Don't worry about the odor, it won't affect your next brew. If you are really worried, soak it overnight with cold water and bleach. Don't forget to rinse it with hot tap water afterwards. That should eliminate the odor. If it doesn't, RDWHAHB (I hope I spelled it right)

Cheers !

use odor free oxyclean.

As long as the plastic isn't stained or scratched you should be fine. If it is junk it and get a new one.

Back