Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bubbling stopped after ~30hrs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
PolishStout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bubbling stopped after ~30hrs

My first batch, "Muntons Connoisseurs Bock Beer Kit". mixed it up on Saturday evening around 7pm and used about .25 lbs of sugar and 3lbs DME, pitched the yeast at about 69/70*. forgot to check the gravity.

checked it Sunday morning and it was bubbling away quite readily, about 2 or 3 'glugs' per second. I then realized the area where I stored the pail was a bit warm (about 75-80*) so I moved it to a cooler place. checked it later sunday evening and it was still glugging away happily.

I check it today around 3pm and the airlock it completely dead. no activity to be seen whatsover.

did I break it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hi there - you might have a read around the forums before asking future questions since this question has been heavily answered, but air lock activity means nothing. Leave it alone for at least another week and then check to see if you've hit your finished gravity. In either case leave it alone for another week thereafter and provided you did hit your FG you are good to bottle...

Old 02-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
PolishStout
Recipes 

Thank you! sorry, I didn't get a chance to read around. I was pretty worried about it. maybe it should be made a sticky thread?

I'm very relieved to see that I'm not in any trouble with my brew. I forgot to mention it in my first post but the beer kit says about 4-6 days to fully ferment (not sure if my outside addition of DME would affect that at all), but I'll be sure to check the gravity in about a week and then a few days after.

I look forward to making this site one of my frequently visited ones, and brewing much delicious beer.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
gannawdm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

dwbh

Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Wiezer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Active fermentation may be complete within 4-6 days, but it's ok to leave it in the primary fermentor for 3-4 weeks to allow time for the yeast to clean up their waste products left over from fermentation.

You can relax knowing that the yeast are in charge of your beer now and they are very good at what they do!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
PolishStout
Recipes 

so should I be putting it into a secondary after the primary? or is that not needed with the kind of extract kit I used?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
PVH
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishStout View Post
so should I be putting it into a secondary after the primary? or is that not needed with the kind of extract kit I used?
Congrats! You managed to bring up the top two most discussed topics on HBT in the same thread.

Just giving you a hard time - not trying to be mean. Check around a bit. Lots of people don't use secondaries anymore unless they're adding fruit, oak, etc. or bulk aging.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Acoma
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishStout View Post
Some people do and some dont. It is not necessarily necessary but more of personal preference and if you are adding fruit or wood or what not to the beer. I believe there is a sticky on to secondary or not.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
PolishStout
Recipes 

lol thanks!

I figured while I had this thread going, I may as well ask another dumb question :P

Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
justtaint
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So much info out there for a newb to sort through. Before joining the forum, everything I read made it seem like I needed a secondary. Looks like I'll be using my new glass carboy as my second primary instead.

Quick Reply