Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bubbling stopped after 2 days

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
PAbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bubbling stopped after 2 days

Hello, I have just brewed my first batch. I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout, partial mash using a Brewer's Best kit. Everything seemed to go pretty smooth. The only concern i had was that i rehydrated my yeast while i was cooling my wort.... The wort took longer than expected to cool. I soaked the brew pot in an ice bath in my sink which is probably the quickest way to cool it aside from a chiller. I did not get the wort down to 70 degree for about 45 minutes. The yeast was then sitting in the rehydration jar for about an hour. I read that the yeast should be pitched within 20-30 minutes for best results.
After one day i had nothing... no bubbles. To my relief i found that the lid was not pressed down firmly. After correcting that problem, the wort bubbled vigorously (every second) for about a day. The next day the bubbles slow to about one every 30-60 seconds, and finally stopped. It has been approximately 60 hours since i pitched the yeast, and the airlock is not bubbling at all.
I do not want to do anything yet until i know for sure. Obviously a hydrometer is a sure way of telling where the fermenting stands. Being a beginner, i don't know if i should disturb it. What is the best thing to do at this point? It was a very high O.G. (1.065). It seems like it is done way too soon. Can more yeast be pitched? Should i let it go? I don't want to risk ruining my first batch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Cass
Recipes 

I just brewed an IPA and it was done bubbling after 2 days as well. Bottled it a week ago, and it tasted great. I wouldn't worry about it too much, its probably fine. My OG was 1.050 and my FG was around 1.015. So it turned out just fine. When you transfer it to secondary, check the gravity. If its still pretty high, then repitch some yeast in the carboy.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
PAbrewer
Recipes 

Thanks, i have been doing some browsing through here, and found some useful information. One thing i came across is that people have commented on Nottingham's quick fermentation. I did use Nottingham's (Danstar) dry yeast. I am not going to get overly concerned at this point. I most likely will do a secondary since i do have a 5 gallon glass carboy to do so. Hopefully everything turns out good. The next batch is going to be an IPA, i can't wait. This is an exceiting hobby!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

As you mentioned in your original post, a hydrometer reading is the only way to know for sure. As long as you sanitize whatever you will use to draw a sample from the wort, the risk of infection is minimal as there is a blanket of CO2 in the top of your bucket. Once you have the hydrometer reading, you'll know if you have a problem or not.

I too have had very short fermentations even with beers in the 1.067 range.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 04-19-2007, 02:10 AM   #5
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My first beer was in the 1.06 range and was done in 3 days. I would just let it go for a few more days. In my bucket i just sanitize the hydrometer and check it in the bucket. (not sure if this is the right way) but out of my two batches i have not had a problem doing this.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
Ever
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
My first beer was in the 1.06 range and was done in 3 days. I would just let it go for a few more days. In my bucket i just sanitize the hydrometer and check it in the bucket. (not sure if this is the right way) but out of my two batches i have not had a problem doing this.

If you do it that way you don't get to drink the sample.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
El Grindo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
Just relax, and wait til you have a good three day consistent gravity.
And yes you definitely gotta use a flask, to take your reading..... ::

Primary #1: Pilsener
Primary #2:
Primary #3:
Secondary #1: Kona Stout (8 oz. of Kona added to secondary for cold extraction...it is actually good so far)
Secondary #2: Hefe
Secondary #3:
Bottle conditioning:
Drinking: Microbrews, Amber Ale.
Up Next: Something partial grain, not sure what yet

Old 04-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Grindo
And yes you definitely gotta use a flask, to take your reading..... ::
Why? Seems like it doesn't matter.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

two reasons. one: in a bucket, you're not going to get eye level, which is why he was in the 1.06 "range" and two: you have to drink that sample to see how it's coming along!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 04-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
El Grindo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer
two reasons. one: in a bucket, you're not going to get eye level, which is why he was in the 1.06 "range" and two: you have to drink that sample to see how it's coming along!
Amen to both, above statements.

Primary #1: Pilsener
Primary #2:
Primary #3:
Secondary #1: Kona Stout (8 oz. of Kona added to secondary for cold extraction...it is actually good so far)
Secondary #2: Hefe
Secondary #3:
Bottle conditioning:
Drinking: Microbrews, Amber Ale.
Up Next: Something partial grain, not sure what yet

Quick Reply