Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Bubbling over sooner than I expected (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/bubbling-over-sooner-than-i-expected-101774/)

PavlovsCat 02-05-2009 10:30 AM

Bubbling over sooner than I expected
 
I brewed a Sierra Nevada PA clone kit from Brewers Best. The yeast was Muntons dry. I re-hydrated the yeast and pitched at room temp of 68F to wort that was the same temp. Used the vigorous shaking of the bucket for aeration and added Wyeast Nutrient. Bubbling started in 4 hours and continued for 24 hours then slowing down to 2-3 min. It's now been about 41 hours and no bubbling when I got up this morning. THe ambient temp is about 67 and the wort temp is still at 70 according to the strip temp indicator. I'll be patient and wait a week before checking the gravity, but would like to know what people think is happening. Is the bulk of fermentation finished? Should I take a gravity sooner? Nothing has changed as far as temp or barometric pressure - i.e no weather changes. It is cold here in Florida, but my house conditions have not changed since pitching.

JesseRC 02-05-2009 11:25 AM

You know I have heard some rumors and rumblings about Munton's yeast. I would like to hear what comes of this. I have Wheat Stout from AHS I am gonna do , and it too uses the Muntons dry yeast. I wonder if I should go with S-04 or S-05.

PavlovsCat 02-05-2009 01:53 PM

What kind of gravity reading would make you want to pitch more yeast if the OG started at 1.048?

Whisler85 02-05-2009 02:28 PM

to be honest, id wait on the gravity- the bulk of the fermentation is done, but you might as well wait until the beer clears and you are ready to rack to take a gravity (more gravity readings=higher risk of contamination)

for a beer with an OG of only 1.048, and brewed with extract, you are probably looking at around 78% attenuation or so- check the specs on the muntons yeast and then do the math (attenuation % x 48)

ps-one packet of dried yeast is plenty for that wort, also

PavlovsCat 02-06-2009 10:18 PM

Just had to peek
 
The kit specs attenuation best case was 76%. I just couldn't wait (my bad), measured the sg and my attenuation after only 3 days was 75%. So I'll wait for it to clear. I'm going skiing for 6 days so that will keep my hands off. I'll rack to the secondary when I get back and add a clearing agent. I guess this clears up my question about the Munton's yeast.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.