Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bubbles stopped and head died down...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
detz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bubbles stopped and head died down...

So at about the 4 day mark the bubbles stopped coming and the head that was growing died down to nothing. Am I still fermenting? Is there a way I can easily check?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Use a hydrometer. It's the only surefire way to know when fermentation has ceased. Once you get the same readings 3 days in a row, you're there. Ignore the bubbles, they sometimes lie.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

The majority of it is probably over but still is doing its thing for the next 2-4 weeks.You cant see it but its not over when the hydrometer says it is- it needs to condition too,not just in the bottle.
You probably will have a ring around the top and yeast will flocculate and build up a half an inch or more on the bottem-its eating then it has to eat its crap.to make yummy beer.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
detz
Recipes 

okay, I don't mind letting is sit there I'm just worried that if it did stop 4 days in that there might be something I can do to save it instead of waiting 2 weeks to find that out.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
jonmohno
Recipes 

You could bottle at 2 weeks but you may have to wait more than 3 weeks in the bottle for them to taste real good.I find it better to primary 3-4 weeks then check bottels in 2 weeks assuming 70 degree temps in the bottle.Another week in primary is going to condition it faster as opposed to botteling it early then having to wait for the taste to get right.
The volume of beer on the yeast cake in primary will conditon it faster opposed to the small amout that is in the bottle.
The time frame is sometimes random, yeast do what they want to do- whether its quick enough for you or not.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Make sure your airlock is filled to the correct level... Are you using a one piece, or three piece airlock? I've not had a brew stop ALL airlock activity after just 4 days. It slows after a week, or so (depends on the brew and temperatures)... Make sure the brew is within the yeasts temperature range.

I'm also going for 3-4 week primary fermentation, before bottling (longer for higher OG brews)... I'm not even taking a hydrometer reading until after the 2 week mark. I would suggest planning for a brew to take ~4 weeks from when you start it until it's ready for bottles. Some could be done sooner, others will need longer.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 AM   #7
detz
Recipes 

It's cold, I'm waiting for my heater so it's been sitting at around 62-63 since conception. Could this stop/slow the fermentation?

Old 01-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by detz View Post
It's cold, I'm waiting for my heater so it's been sitting at around 62-63 since conception. Could this stop/slow the fermentation?
Depends, completely, on what yeast you used. I don't think it will kill the yeast, if anything it will make them slow down, or go to sleep until things warm up a little...

This time of year, I'm using yeast that can handle the cooler temperatures in my 'brewery' a.k.a. the kitchen... It can get down to the lower 60's there, or up to about 70-72F... So having a yeast that doesn't like the lower end of the scale, doesn't work [for me] right now.

This is a time when a fermentation chamber would be helpful (I'm planning on getting/making one before spring is too far onto us). With both cooling, and warming, elements in it, that will keep it at the range you want for the yeast...

BTW, just noticed that you're only a few towns over from me... Nice...

Old 01-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #9
jonmohno
Recipes 

Conception. I like that.Yeast are like newborns but sucking on grainsugar teats.ha ha.
your good as long as you dont go below the realm of temps,of what yeast you used?Make shure thats the lowest though because they could become dormant. But if that is the lowest thats perfect. It will go slower.But in my opinion probably taste better.I pitched too high then kept it at 67 but now know not to pitch above 70 and keep it at the mid low end, depending on the flavor you want to get from it. If i had pitched my first brew at 15 degrees lower i would probably have a completely different beer.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #10
PVH
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by detz View Post
It's cold, I'm waiting for my heater so it's been sitting at around 62-63 since conception.
So ... tell me about this conception method of beer brewing ... SWMBO might be interested.

Quick Reply