Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bubbles

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Shiskiria
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Catshill Bromsgrove, Worcestershire
Posts: 4
Default Bubbles

Hi,

I'm new to brewing, and recently just got myself some pure apple juice from concentrate. 5 Litres in total.

I used Champagne Yeast, as well as Pectic enzyme during the process, and its happily fermenting as I type this. My OG was 1.056

I plan on bottling the final product, but I would like it to have a sparkle. In the UK we have a cider called Strongbow, which is very fizzy, and I'm wanting to try and get this type of finish for my Cider, but I'm not sure how I go about this.

Its not that important for my 1st batch, but Id like to try anyway, as if it turns out good, I plan to make a bigger batch and then Keg it

Any advice greatly appreciated.

__________________
Shiskiria is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Uziyahu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 210
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

I've never made cider, but I do make beer. I think the carbonation process is the same. Once your cider is done fermenting, you add priming sugar to the cider in your bottling bucket (Boiled for 15 minutes in water) before bottling. When I do this, I pour the sugar in the bucket before I rack my beer and let the motion of the liquid stir the sugar into my beer. Then you let it sit in the bottle for 2 or more weeks, and you have carbonated cider.

But, as I said, I've never worked with cider, so I can't help you with calculating how much sugar you need or how to make sure the cider is sweet enough. I bet, however, there are a few people on this forum who can help with that.

__________________
Uziyahu is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Shiskiria
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Catshill Bromsgrove, Worcestershire
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziyahu View Post
I've never made cider, but I do make beer. I think the carbonation process is the same. Once your cider is done fermenting, you add priming sugar to the cider in your bottling bucket (Boiled for 15 minutes in water) before bottling.

Forgive me......You boil the sugar and water for 15 minutes?
__________________
Shiskiria is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
ludomonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: berlin, nj
Posts: 507
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

You don't need to bring it to a boil to pastuerize it, you just need to bring it to a high temperature for some time. At boiling, you don't need much time, plus you know (more or less) what the temperature it. You should be good after boiling it for a minute.

__________________
ludomonster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
ruralbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Strum, WI
Posts: 242
Liked 74 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

I'm not sure what Strongbow tastes like, but what you are going to end up with is similar to a dry white wine. It will take a fair amount of conditioning time in the bottle. If you want a higher level of carbonation 50 grams of table sugar should do the trick.

__________________
ruralbrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralbrew View Post
I'm not sure what Strongbow tastes like, but what you are going to end up with is similar to a dry white wine. It will take a fair amount of conditioning time in the bottle. If you want a higher level of carbonation 50 grams of table sugar should do the trick.
^this.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 480
Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

You should try using an ale yeast, like Nottingham if you want sweet cider.

AgentHubcap is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentHubcap View Post
You should try using an ale yeast, like Nottingham if you want sweet cider.
Notty will still ferment apple juice dry. Fermenting just apple juice, or juice and sugar will get you a dry apple wine. You need to put something unfermentable into the recipe with the juice to keep it a bit sweet. It's kinda tough to make a carbonated, sweet cider when bottling. You could try lactose, but it's kinda creamy tasting, IMO. Maltodextrine, but that's not too sweet. Some folks use artificial sweeteners, but they taste like artificial sweeteners. IME, if you're bottling a sweet cider, it's best to make it still. Knock the yeast out with k-sorbate after you reach FG, rack to the bottling bucket a few days later. Use juice, sugar or wine conditioner to back sweeten to taste and bottle.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 480
Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Notty will still ferment apple juice dry. Fermenting just apple juice, or juice and sugar will get you a dry apple wine. You need to put something unfermentable into the recipe with the juice to keep it a bit sweet. It's kinda tough to make a carbonated, sweet cider when bottling. You could try lactose, but it's kinda creamy tasting, IMO. Maltodextrine, but that's not too sweet. Some folks use artificial sweeteners, but they taste like artificial sweeteners. IME, if you're bottling a sweet cider, it's best to make it still. Knock the yeast out with k-sorbate after you reach FG, rack to the bottling bucket a few days later. Use juice, sugar or wine conditioner to back sweeten to taste and bottle.
The cider I made for my wife using Nottingham was much sweeter than when I'd used wine yeast. Sweet enough that she'll drink it without sweetening it.

Here was my process:

1. Boil sugar / juice solution for 15 mins.
2. Add leftover juice and sugar solution to the fermenter.
3. Ferment using Nottingham or S-04 yeast for 1 month.
4. Sample prior to bottling to determine if any back-sweetening is needed. I use lactose to back-sweeten when needed.
5. Use 2/3 cups of table sugar for a 5 gallon batch to prime. You can up that to 3/4 if you want it a bit more bubbly.
6. Leave it for a month in bottles.
__________________

Primary: McPoyle IIPA, Red-x/Amarillo SMaSH
On Deck: Eau Rouge
On Tap: McPoyle IIPA, Samsquanch RIS, Calypso SMaSH, Regal Pale Ale

AgentHubcap is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Shiskiria
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Catshill Bromsgrove, Worcestershire
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks for the replies, it helps.

If I use 500 ml Bottles is it 50g sugar per bottle?, I will also try AgentHubcaps recipe also. Like I said this is just a test really. At the moment it smells nothing like Cider.

In relation to those that haven't heard of Strong-bow. Its a very Dry, bubbly Cider here in England. It's 5.2% ABV, but much Stronger I feel. Theres others but this is the most famous one, unless you live in the south west. If you like Cider, Highly recommend you try it.

I'm also thinking of moving from Kit's. My Beer kit was my 1st attempt, and it turned out good, but i've since been watching a guy who makes beer using mashing, hops, and boiler. Its something that im interested in trying, so I might be back for some more advice soon.

__________________
Shiskiria is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not a lot of bubbles... dukesbb37 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 11-29-2011 08:32 PM
Bubbles Riles8148 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 28 05-26-2011 04:31 PM
No Bubbles Bravo11 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 22 06-28-2008 08:40 AM
no bubbles damo Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 01-01-2008 09:49 PM
It's only bubbles... elkdog Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 11-07-2007 02:13 AM