Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > bubble gum beer - how long before it's drinkable?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
stageseven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default bubble gum beer - how long before it's drinkable?

I made a Belgian Dubbel back in July that ended up fermenting too warm and developed some serious bubble-gum flavor and smell. I used White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale yeast. It probably fermented in the upper 70's low 80's for the first day or so. I didn't really notice the flavor and smell until I was bottling, and found Revvy's thread on never dumping your beer so I just went ahead and bottled it. It's been over a month now since it was bottled, and the flavor and smell have gone down a bit, but definitely still preset. I was wondering about how long it will take for these flavors to clear up. I was hoping to have it ready by Christmas, but not sure if that's a reasonable expectation. If it's not likely I'll just put it away for a bit longer and brew something else with a higher gravity for this winter. Or maybe I'll do that anyway just to be safe...

So is this just a "wait and see" kind of thing, or is there a pretty standard length of time for off flavors to go away?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

It's "wait and see," and keep sampling until you find it enjoyable/drinkable. I don't expect the estery flavors will just disappear, but they will fade some and not be quite as strident. But don't expect miracles.

If you've got the room, get a chest freezer and a temperature controller for use as a fermentation chamber. My beers took a quantum leap in quality once I took this step, and now I always ferment towards the low end of the range for whatever yeast I'm using.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did a 'bubblegum pilsner' that I wrote off as lost. I put it aside for 5 months and when I tried it then it was very very good. The bubblegum had evolved into a very pleasant fruit background.

It might be good for christmas. Might not. But more than likely with enough time it will get to be quite drinkable if not downright excellent.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
stageseven
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

cool, I'll hide it somewhere and try to forget about it for a few more months. Maybe I'll do some sort of spiced beer for the holidays. Any excuse to brew again!

Old 09-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
Stickshaker
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
but they will fade some and not be quite as strident.
Don't you mean not quite as Trident?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
Don't you mean not quite as Trident?
Not bad, not bad...if this were Reddit.com, I'd upvote ya!

Quick Reply