Brown Sugar in a Stout Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPostman

Reaction score
I just brewed a nice 5 gallon batch (OG 1.05) Irish style stout. Would adding a pound of brown sugar at secondary (in a 6 gallon glass carboy) be sufficient to impart the beer with any flavor or have I missed my shot at a successful addition? Thanks for the help!

would 5 oz in 16 oz of water be enough for the batch or would it be less since it has such a high sugar content?

I've primed with demerara sugar in 2C of boiled water before. It adds a nice,albeit light, light brown sugar laced with honey flavor. I think brown sugar,maybe the dark one would be darn good in a stout to prime with. Mo' flava,mo' betta!

yea, if my research is correct i'll use 4 oz of it for 5 gallons, so I think i'm gonna give it a shot. i'm still about a month away (2 week primary 2 week secondary). I'll report back with results!

I made a belgian triple and primed half of it with brown sugar. The flavor definitely came out, and added a bit more complexity to the beer. It was a golden triple, so it also made it a touch darker, though in a stout that will not be noticeable.

It is well worth it in my view.

I made a belgian triple and primed half of it with brown sugar. The flavor definitely came out, and added a bit more complexity to the beer. It was a golden triple, so it also made it a touch darker, though in a stout that will not be noticeable.

It is well worth it in my view.

man that sounds absolutely delicious! i'm really looking forward to it. this is my first batch to use maltodextrin so i'm anticipating a thick, savory and sweet brew.

I have a milk chocolate stout at 5 weeks, added cacao nibs two weeks ago. Still in primary 6 gallon. I like the idea of brown sugar. To late to add?

i would love to try this also! i have a batch of an irish stout in its secondary. i just racked it last night. maybe when i go to prime ill do half brown sugar and half priming sugar??? would it be as easy as half and half??

You don't really have to mix them. The flavor from the brown sugar will be sorta light anyway,since you're priming with it.

when you say table sugar you mean sugar you put in coffee and stuff right? i have been doing extract kits and it called for 5oz of priming sugar. so would the 5oz. be tru with brown also

yes,I've noticed the priming calculators I've used lump table sugar,dextrose,brown sugar,& cane sugar together. so their weights are the same. I've even used Demerara sugar from the baking needs isle of the grocery store. It's raw cane sugar with a light brown sugar laced with honey flavor. They even have more exotic can sugars,etc from around the world if you go to the right store. Or on line as I've seen described on here.

damn.... i wish i would have thought of brown sugar for priming. I just bottled a brown ale that was supposed to be a little sweet. The taste before bottling had a hint of sweetness, but needed more. Will put this in my notes for next time.

The sweetness will disappear when the yeast east the sugar. You may get a "hint" of sweet, but only because the hint of flavor will fool your brain into tasting sweetness. T he sugar will be gone, though.

Adding some crystal malt, or mashing higher will help add sweetness at the end. I think there is a sugar the yeast can't eat that could add sweetness too, but I don't remember what kind that is. Lactose?

Maltodextrin is one you can add for a sort of creamy,increased mouth feel. It's a long chain sugar molecule that yeast can't break down. Thus,a little more sweetness.

My research indicates 4 oz would be the appropriate amount for a 5 gallon batch. I've decided I may add a bit of cinnamon in the secondary. Brown Sugar Cinnamon Irish Stout. Sounds awesome!

i just do not think this calculation is right? it sounds at first like 5 oz is correct, then maybe 4-4.5, and now this? Does anyone have any experiential knowledge?

Picture 1.jpg

i just do not think this calculation is right? it sounds at first like 5 oz is correct, then maybe 4-4.5, and now this? Does anyone have any experiential knowledge?
5 oz corn sugar will produce ~2.7 volumes (all other things being equal). An equivalent in table sugar is 4.8 oz.

You entered a "dry stout" which equates to 1.8 volumes, so the amount of sugar is less.

5 oz corn sugar will produce ~2.7 volumes (all other things being equal). An equivalent in table sugar is 4.8 oz.

You entered a "dry stout" which equates to 1.8 volumes, so the amount of sugar is less.

so you'd recommend just 4.8 oz so long as there are no other fermentables?

I just did a partial mash nut brown based on Sparky's Nut Brown Recipe

It was about 6# of grain/adjuncts and 3.3# Amber LME - final volume turned out to be about 5.5 Gallons with top off water. I will bottle in about 3 weeks.

The hell with calculators! I'm just going to prime with 1 cup of regular priming sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar just to see if I can tell any difference in the recipe.

It was about 6# of grain/adjuncts and 3.3# Amber LME - final volume turned out to be about 5.5 Gallons with top off water. I will bottle in about 3 weeks.

The hell with calculators! I'm just going to prime with 1 cup of regular priming sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar just to see if I can tell any difference in the recipe.

Just go with 1 and 1/4 cup brown sugar and skip the regular priming sugar.

At least that is what I am going to do next weekend when I bottle.

so you'd recommend just 4.8 oz so long as there are no other fermentables?
That would probably be equivalent to a "normal" beer (equivalent to the 5 oz bag of corn sugar you get with most kits). Just be aware that 3 volumes is the recommended maximum for 12 oz bottles, so if you are using a good scale, then you are probably good, if you are doing volume conversions, maybe cheat on the small side, just to be safe. I recently carbed with 1 cup of honey (and have done so before without any problems) but this batch was like popping champagne corks! :eek: -so I immediately moved the entire batch to the fridge, to avoid any grenades :)

1 cup of corn sugar is about ~5.5 oz. 1/4 cup table sugar (or brown sugar) is about 2 oz. You'll probably be pushing 3.5 volumes :) Should be a sudsy beer, provided it doesn't explode :) Best of luck!

Back