Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brown sugar as an adjunct?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
BrewinBigD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Brown sugar as an adjunct?

Ive recently decided to venture away from extract kit brewing to devising my own extract recipes and in my latest creation i would like to try using brown sugar as an adjunct in my fall spiced ale. i've heard of brown sugar being used for priming in some porters and dark ales, and also heard that it tends to produce a dryer mouthfeel when added to the boil. whats the best way to impart the brown sugar flavors into my beer without getting that cidery, dry taste that some sugars produce, and if used for priming, whats the proper ratio for a 5 gallon batch? is 5 ounces the same as 5 ounces of dextrose?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Brown sugar dries beer out because the sugar is eaten, leaving only the molasses behind. If you want brown sugar flavor without the dryness, just use a small amount of molasses.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
BrewinBigD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

any clue what the ratio would be of molasses to brown sugar?? i planned on using .5 lb of LBS added with the extract after the grains steep.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

In 1/2lb of light brown sugar, I'd guess there's maybe 1tbsp of molasses, maybe 2. A little goes a long way. I've never used brown sugar for bottle priming, but brown sugar should work the same as white cane sugar.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/rec...rbonation.html

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 08-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
BrewinBigD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

thanks.
using the cane sugar for blottling makes me a little nervous because of its high femnetability, as i dont want atomic beer bombs going off in my wine cellar where i ferment and condition,, the calculator link will surely help. thanks a bunch man!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinBigD View Post
thanks.
using the cane sugar for blottling makes me a little nervous because of its high femnetability, as i dont want atomic beer bombs going off in my wine cellar where i ferment and condition,, the calculator link will surely help. thanks a bunch man!
If you use the correct amount then that won't be an issue. Corn sugar is no more or no less "highly fermentable" than cane.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1851 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

I've had some demerara sugar laying around to brew/prime with. I'm going to try priming my English Bitter with it. It has the taste of light brown sugar laced with honey. The honey flavor is obvious,but not as much as the LBS taste. Should make a good,slight hit on the back.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

We have a lot of good information about using interesting sugars in this thread Brewing Sugars - Jaggery, Piloncillo, Turbinado... .

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply