Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brown Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
dudius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default Brown Porter

I brewed a kit from Brewer's Best, Pumpkin Spice Porter. It says it will be black, but in the fermenter it looks burnt orange. I used a steeping bag, is it likely I didn't steep the grains well enough? I think it'll taste fine, I'm just curious whether color comes more from the grains or the malt.

Check out my beer blog http://indiebeerdrinker.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Did you steep all of the grains? How long and at what water temperature? Did you add all of the malt extract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudius View Post
I'm just curious whether color comes more from the grains or the malt.
All grains are malted grains (except for a few like roasted barley, flaked cereals, etc.), and they are what gives the beer color. You may have added too much top up water at the end. Did you take a gravity reading before you closed the fermenter?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
dudius
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I did everything per the instructions (I don't have them available right now). I used the bag to steep grains and I'm thinking that the grains bunched up and didn't fully soak. The malt was a liquid extract and I used a sanitized rubber scraper to get everything. I barely had to use any top-off water, the mash was done with 2.5 gallons water and then I added 2.5 to the fermenter and maybe added half a cup to bring it to 5 gallons. The beer in the fermenter is very opaque but as mentioned in first post its a dark brown instead of nearly black.

Check out my beer blog http://indiebeerdrinker.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply