Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brown particles in my Yeast Starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
pmcint01
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Brown particles in my Yeast Starter

I made a yeast starter yesterday with light DME. Brought it to a very slow boil to avoid boil over pf flask on stove. During boil there we're brown particles collecting on the foam. After I pitched the yeast the brown particles are still floating around in the starter. I hope this is some harmless protein or something. Should I not use this starter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Most likely just some husk material that didn't get processed out when they made the DME. To be on the safe side, if you have any DME left from that bag, sift through it and make sure it doesn't have weevils (very small insects about the size of a pin head or even smaller). If "A" then carry on, if "B".....your call.

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 06-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Probably some burned bits, easy to do when boiling in a flask. No harm done.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Quick Reply