Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brown IPA??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #31
Kjm06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickproenneke
I just did a black ipa with carafa II. It looked brownish while it was still fermenting but then became significantly darker as the yeast dropped out... It looks like you're seeing the same thing happen to your batch

Cheers!
Oooohh this is good news. Was your hydrometer sample dark brown?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #32
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjm06

Oooohh this is good news. Was your hydrometer sample dark brown?
Mine was definitely BROWN when I took a hydro sample at 2 weeks. But by 4 weeks the yeast had dropped out and it revealed it true color - dark dark brown, almost black. I'm guessing that because the yeast is a creamy color, it influences the color of the dark wort. Again, just a guess. I've also seen it work the other way around with my lighter colored brews... Here's a pic of my black ipa. Beer Calculus puts it at 33*SRM.

image-212228388.jpg
bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #33
Kjm06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickproenneke

Mine was definitely BROWN when I took a hydro sample at 2 weeks. But by 4 weeks the yeast had dropped out and it revealed it true color - dark dark brown, almost black. I'm guessing that because the yeast is a creamy color, it influences the color of the dark wort. Again, just a guess. I've also seen it work the other way around with my lighter colored brews... Here's a pic of my black ipa. Beer Calculus puts it at 33*SRM.
Awesome thanks for the info!!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #34
Kjm06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

image-1613165442.jpg

Mine def got darker once it sat for a bit

Old 03-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #35
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Happy to hear it worked out for ya

Cheers!

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Quick Reply