Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brown Honey Ale and Priming Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
dondford
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brown Honey Ale and Priming Sugar

I am thinking about brewing the NB Brown honey Ale; in reading the reviews one reviewer who seemed very knowledgeable mentioned he used 2 Cups + 2 Tb of cane sugar to prime. That is well over 2 times sugar the instructions called for. When I primed my Irish Red Ale I was very careful in measuring out the 5/8 cup of cane sugar to prime. I have been afraid if I over primed I would have exploding bottles, so I was surprised to see someone exceeding the amount so much.
What's the word on the amount of priming sugar; are there any guidelines as to the maximum amount you should use?
Thanking you in advance for any advice,

D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've only primed with corn sugar, but in my experience, 3/4 cup, plus or minus a little bit depending on the style, has gotten me good carbonation. There are priming sugar calculators online that you can try. I've had better luck with the basic 3/4 of a cup.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondford View Post
I am thinking about brewing the NB Brown honey Ale; in reading the reviews one reviewer who seemed very knowledgeable mentioned he used 2 Cups + 2 Tb of cane sugar to prime. That is well over 2 times sugar the instructions called for. When I primed my Irish Red Ale I was very careful in measuring out the 5/8 cup of cane sugar to prime. I have been afraid if I over primed I would have exploding bottles, so I was surprised to see someone exceeding the amount so much.
What's the word on the amount of priming sugar; are there any guidelines as to the maximum amount you should use?
Thanking you in advance for any advice,

D
Use this:

Northern Brewer Priming Sugar Calculator

Quick Reply