New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brown Ale taste seems off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Jayhem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

Do you have an actual thermometer ON your primary fermenter? Remember that the beer temp can be 8 degrees HIGHER than air temp for the first several days of fermentation and fermenting an ale over 72F can certainly cause all types of taste problems, especially on 2 week old (green) bottle conditioning beer! I know it's been too hot in Virginia for fermenting without climate control so I can imagine it's been hot in AL!

Next up: The Hops of Wrath (DIPA)
Primary: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Spring Amber Ale)
Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
Bgon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It probably did get a little higher in the last few days in the secondary but not as much as I had thought. I did notice the other day when I had a Black Lager, that it had the same slick feeling to it as mine did. Are there certain ingredients that tend to have the same effect to the beer as mine did? Although I am more then certain now that the advice given here is much better than my screwed up pallet for detecting flaws in beer. I just had blocks of ice around it in a cooler with no water. Having to work late the last week of it being in the secondary, the temps most likely rose to high, but the first week of fermentation I thought I had it reading of about 63F outside the bucket so I figured I was safe.

Will this clear up after a week or two more of will if generally be like this?

Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
Ultrazord
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did a newcastle clone recently and it is very off too. my first bad batch. I didn't get any oily flavors or texture, but it just isn't great. I kept mine very cold too, so I doubt it was fermenting too high.

Was this a midwest kit?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #14
Bgon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a stick on thermometer that typically read in the low to mid 60's while in the primary. I will give it the other few weeks to age better and hope it all levels out more. The kit came from a Homebrew store. If there is a ratio of 1 week to 1.010 of OG, my 1.050 would need the 5 weeks after being bottled to achieve proper levels. But if this is a bad batch, after 5 weeks this will be a terrible batch?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgon View Post
I have a stick on thermometer that typically read in the low to mid 60's while in the primary. I will give it the other few weeks to age better and hope it all levels out more. The kit came from a Homebrew store. If there is a ratio of 1 week to 1.010 of OG, my 1.050 would need the 5 weeks after being bottled to achieve proper levels. But if this is a bad batch, after 5 weeks this will be a terrible batch?
Your temperatures seem fine then. The first 4-7 days in primary is the most critical to keep the temps stable in the mid 60's. After that it can warm up to low 70's without much effect.

If it tastes bad after 2 weeks I would not expect it to get anything but better in a few more weeks unless it is bacteria contaminated.

I brewed a stout as my second kit and it tasted rough after 2-3 weeks in bottles, so rough that I preferred the taste of store bought beer to it! So I forgot about that batch for about 8 weeks and then put a few in the fridge for a week and unbelievably....they were awesome!

Give em time!

Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
Ultrazord
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Mine's still bad after about 6 weeks. I'm not gonna toss it as it is usable in cooking and drinkable, but not what I would consider a great beer.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazord View Post
Mine's still bad after about 6 weeks. I'm not gonna toss it as it is usable in cooking and drinkable, but not what I would consider a great beer.
If you used a tried and true recipe and it still came out bad I would suspect oxidation, water chemistry or your process.

Secondary:

Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
Ultrazord
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
If you used a tried and true recipe and it still came out bad I would suspect oxidation, water chemistry or your process.
Oxidation I suppose is possible. Water is fine as it's worked for 7+ other batches, and same process. I musta messed something up.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #19
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

The actual Newcastle ale recipe uses two blended beers a dark strong ale and a low gravity amber. That is what gives Newcastle it's taste. Also the dark ale is aged for a few months before blending. If you are comparing your beer to a Newcastle and didn't use the blended method you won't have the same taste as new castle.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
Bgon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After another month in the bottles, I rarely have that weird feeling about it. Then again, I think I was the only one that noticed it. So it might just be me.

Turned out to be a nice brew.

Quick Reply