Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
Brewing a brown ale from Charlie Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing and I just realized I used 20% more DME than I was supposed to. 0G was 1060 when the recipe called for 1046-1050. Obviously I'll have more alcohol when this is done but how will this influence the taste and other properties?

It'll make the beer a little darker which you can get away with in a brown ale and it'll lower the hop utilization. since browns aren't real hoppy anyhow it shouldn't be an issue. it's still gonna be awesome cuz after all it is beer.

Thanks. What do you mean when you say it will lower the hop utilization? My beer will be less hoppy? Less bitter?

yeah the higher the gravity the less the hop bitterness, aroma, and flavor will come through. but brown ales are very malt forward so everything should work out fine.

Actually, I think you may have a big problem. If you are anything like me, it will start you down the road of never wanting a low gravity beer again :)

Roamer said:
Actually, I think you may have a big problem. If you are anything like me, it will start you down the road of never wanting a low gravity beer again :)

Heheh. I might be able to live with that problem. It's funny how in brewing, sometimes mistakes turn into improvements.

i know what you mean. The world of session beers is a mystery

I just finished a brown ale as few days ago. Currently fermenting. I added a few extras to the recipe and Im pretty excited to see how it turns out. Added maltodextrin and just a tad (2tsp) of chocolate powder....

Just bottled Janet's Brown Ale from Brewing Classic Styles. With an ABV of 6.6%, does anyone have an idea of how long this one is going to take to carb and condition? All my previous brews have been around 5% so any input would be appreciated.

Just bottled Janet's Brown Ale from Brewing Classic Styles. With an ABV of 6.6%, does anyone have an idea of how long this one is going to take to carb and condition? All my previous brews have been around 5% so any input would be appreciated.

Bigger beers take longer. How much longer? Depends on your beer, on how long you left it in primary, on how long you bulk aged it, on temperature... yeah, not too helpful, I know.

Give one a try after three weeks. If green, wait another week or two and try another.

The imperial nut brown ale I have in primary (starting week four there) is supposed to sit three months minimum, and supposedly hits the pinnacle at a year out. Of course, it's hovering right around 9% ABV, so it would naturally take longer than yours.

Bigger beers take longer. How much longer? Depends on your beer, on how long you left it in primary, on how long you bulk aged it, on temperature... yeah, not too helpful, I know.

Give one a try after three weeks. If green, wait another week or two and try another.

The imperial nut brown ale I have in primary (starting week four there) is supposed to sit three months minimum, and supposedly hits the pinnacle at a year out. Of course, it's hovering right around 9% ABV, so it would naturally take longer than yours.

I agree with the "go by taste" approach. In the end, that's all that matters. My experience with this beer (BCS JBA), and it's vast, is that at about 4-6 weeks from flameout the hops start to noticeably drop. The beer, by design, is supposed to be almost annoyingly hop forward when it's young. If allowed to mellow with a little age, the balance moves toward the center and the beer tastes great as the chocolate and citrus/earthy flavors take over the beer.

Tasty

Good to know TastyMcD! It smelled incredible going into bottles, but I am a real hop head. This is one I see myself keeping on a regular rotation.

Back