*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Kit Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #51
BlakeL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by govner1 View Post
Why not go to your LHBS and try a recipe kit from them?
From what I've read, my LHBS isn't the greatest as far as customer service and it's best to just order online and pickup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #52
BlakeL
Recipes 

Looks like Brewmasters Warehouse has good shipping prices. I might just go with them and build my own recipe. Any good resources for recipes and how to convert for 1g batches?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #53
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Beersmith, it can scale down recipes. Convert from all grain to extract to partial, it will help you understand bittering hop effects, colors of beer, ABV and much more. I am still a rookie after 3 years and when I picked up Beersmith it changed a lot of things for me, plus, if you buy it from Birdman brewing, it's a little over 20 bucks. Pretty cheap for what you get. Good luck brewing

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #54
BlakeL
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
Beersmith, it can scale down recipes. Convert from all grain to extract to partial, it will help you understand bittering hop effects, colors of beer, ABV and much more. I am still a rookie after 3 years and when I picked up Beersmith it changed a lot of things for me, plus, if you buy it from Birdman brewing, it's a little over 20 bucks. Pretty cheap for what you get. Good luck brewing
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #55
Ply318ci
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Beersmith is great I have the trial version and really like it. Also you can just take any recipe and divide everything by how many gallons it is designed for. If you go on the recipe data base here and find a good recipe for a 5.5 gallons just divide everything by 5 or 5.5 has worked for me. The only problem is that most online shops only sell by the pound for grains so you may only need an ounce or two for a one gallon batch and have lots of left over grain. Just put them in a ziplock bag and hang on to the extra for another recipe. And if you use dry yeast you only need half a package put that rest in a labeled zip lock baggy and put it in the fridge for next time. Just pull it out at the start of your brew day and rehydrate in 70-80 degree water 15-20 min before pitching I do it all the time works great for me. I had a pound of crystal 60L that lasted for three different one gallon brews.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #56
kc1123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I cracked open my first bottle of this last night. It was pretty good, but not carbed enough. I'm bringing some to share with my family tomorrow. Pretty psyched. I printed out some bottle hangers that were mentioned in another thread.

Note: I was drinking this mid-evening and suddenly I feel asleep in my work clothes. It knocked me right out. Slept like a baby.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #57
kc1123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

@Ply318ci Midwest Supplies sells a bunch of grains in half pound increments and their prices seem to be pretty good.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #58
Ply318ci
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Nice i have a LHBS so it isn't a big deal for me but good to know of they run out of something.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #59
kc1123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Shared my Everyday IPA at a family gathering today. I was a bit nervous. One bottle was carbed perfectly and another was too carbed. It tasted pretty good. I brought home all the empties from the party for future use. All in all a good day! Brewed the Coffee & Donut Stout yesterday!

Old 04-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #60
BlakeL
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1123
Shared my Everyday IPA at a family gathering today. I was a bit nervous. One bottle was carbed perfectly and another was too carbed. It tasted pretty good. I brought home all the empties from the party for future use. All in all a good day! Brewed the Coffee & Donut Stout yesterday!
That's good to hear. I hope mine turns out good too. I was thinking of getting another kit from them but shipping is $10.

Quick Reply