Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Kit Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #221
MedBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'll leave the smoked wheat in the secondary for a week then,it looks as if fermentation is very close to complete. Hardly any bubbles being produced in the jug.I racked to 2nd b/c I read that it helps the flavors of the beer...?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #222
Jints07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hello all! Did my first brew today with this kit. Everything seemed to go kind of smooth, though I did end up like a quart short on wort which was odd as I expected to be way over, but I just added water as per the instructions.

The question I have is that it has been about 4 hours and I am starting to worry that my yeast died

Here's a pic, am I in trouble?

(specifically the yeasty looking ring at the bottom)

Last edited by Jints07; 03-24-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: added the parenthetical comment to clarify reason for post

Old 03-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #223
Jints07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And I should add, absolutely nothing is going on in terms of movement in the carboy

Old 03-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #224
SLRSLY
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What were your pitching temps? It will probably take quite a bit before you see activity in the airlock. Closer to a day, sometimes longer.

Funny that this thread popped up. I bought these kits and the books for all of my groomsmen this year along with the Brooklyn beer book. I also purchased one for myself. I'm the only one who has used it

Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #225
Jints07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRSLY View Post
What were your pitching temps? It will probably take quite a bit before you see activity in the airlock. Closer to a day, sometimes longer.
I pitched somewhere in the high 60s. I was very paranoid about that particular step after reading that it's possible to burn the yeast to death so I erred on the side of cooler. As to the activity, I'm mostly concerned about what looks like all the yeast on the bottom, is that normal?

Quote:
Funny that this thread popped up. I bought these kits and the books for all of my groomsmen this year along with the Brooklyn beer book. I also purchased one for myself. I'm the only one who has used it
I got motivated to try it out after finally trying some higher quality craft brews after drinking some of the really poor commercial stuff (guess) most of my life. Maybe buy them a couple of 4 packs of 90 Min IPA!

How did yours turn out? Did you do the IPA?

Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #226
SLRSLY
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Your yeast isn't dead. Just give it some time. It will get interesting soon

To be honest I read the Brooklyn book before I even opened my kit. And I came across a recipe for their Apple Crisp Ale. So I went to my LHBS and grabbed the ingredients for that and ended up throwing away the grains that came with the kit. Scaling everything down (as a first time brewer with minimal equipment) was challenging. I remember dividing the yeast and hops on a paper plate. Haha.
It turned out great! I have brewed about 10 batches since and I always compare them to that first one gallon batch. The one where I really didn't even understand what I was doing.
A few months later and I'm making 5 gallon batches, built a kegerator, etc. Be careful, this hobby can grab a hold of you. I LOVE it!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #227
MedBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jints07 View Post
And I should add, absolutely nothing is going on in terms of movement in the carboy
By tomorrow it will be fermenting like crazy, dont worry it takes a while to start. All looks A-Ok in the carboy, you did a good job

Old 03-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #228
Jints07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Your yeast isn't dead. Just give it some time. It will get interesting soon
You were dead on, I see activity now!
Quote:
To be honest I read the Brooklyn book before I even opened my kit. And I came across a recipe for their Apple Crisp Ale. So I went to my LHBS and grabbed the ingredients for that and ended up throwing away the grains that came with the kit. Scaling everything down (as a first time brewer with minimal equipment) was challenging. I remember dividing the yeast and hops on a paper plate. Haha.
It turned out great! I have brewed about 10 batches since and I always compare them to that first one gallon batch. The one where I really didn't even understand what I was doing.
A few months later and I'm making 5 gallon batches, built a kegerator, etc. Be careful, this hobby can grab a hold of you. I LOVE it!
Wow, that sounds very cool and delicious! Congrats for getting that first batch great. I can see where this hobby is going to be very addictive, thank goodness it is affordable, haha.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #229
Jints07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedBrewer View Post
By tomorrow it will be fermenting like crazy, dont worry it takes a while to start. All looks A-Ok in the carboy, you did a good job
Thank you for the compliment and you you were right, it is bubbling nicely in to the blow off bowl and the yeast disk at the bottom is much smaller!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #230
MedBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Any one currently brewing bbs kits or recipes? I have Wgd light currently bottled and apple crisp ale cold crashing for a few days. Currently drinking the smoked wheat kit,it's great! Any suggestions about kits or recipes you've tried?

Quick Reply