Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Kit Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 AM   #211
kingogames
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 114

My takeway from this thread is they have brew kits at Williams Sonoma??? I had no idea. I now have a reason to go to the mall...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #212
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I'm just beginning to crack a few from this kit. My $0.02:

1) Advice to reduce the priming honey is spot-on. 3 tbsps of honey will give you champagne, not beer. 2 would seem to be about right.

2) Be patient and let this stuff bottle condition for at least 3 weeks at 70F. Even though it might be barely carbed at 1 week, it is very bitter and astringent. It mellows out nicely at three weeks. I am going to hang on to the others and crack them one per week to see how they develop.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #213
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDanny View Post
I am doing the Everyday IPA from the book, not the kit. So I bought ingredients from my lhbs. The book does not mention OG or FG. Would anyone let me know what hydrometer readings they obtained either from the boxed kit or from lbhs ingredients.

Looks like I had a hydrometer reading of 1.076 on the post-boil wort, cooled to just below 70F. But it was only about 3/4 gallon by then. I may have topped it off with a bit too much water (just above the "one gallon" lettering on the gallon glass carboy), and that hydrometer reading was 1.038.

Am I in the ball park here?
I'm in bed now, so I can't put this into Beersmith, but if you download the trial and enter the recipe it will tell you what your OG and FG should be.

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #214
MedBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Hiya all again, I decided to go with the Smoked Wheat kit as my second brew. The Everyday IPA was very good for a first attempt IMO. Any one made the smoked wheat kit? I like smoked beers a lot... for that matter I love smoked foods and all the likes! The kit was ordered 2 days ago and should be here in miami on friday this week. BBS has great customer service, every time i send them an email they always respond quickly.
Living down in Miami,FL I have not had much luch finding a local homebrew store, seems nearest one is in lakeland ,FL (about 2 hour drive).
I want to start making SMASH beers also, any one make any ever?
Thanks for any comments and advice ahead- Ben

Old 03-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #215
PsyDanny
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Try a dry hop?

I just started drinking my first batch of Everyday IPA and am generally happy with it. However, I would like a little more "hop to it".

Now I am about 2.5 weeks into primary fermentation on my second batch. I think I will check an initial FG tonight and am considering racking to a secondary for dry hopping.

Any ideas - particularly what style of hop and how much (likely using pellets)?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #216
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDanny View Post
I just started drinking my first batch of Everyday IPA and am generally happy with it. However, I would like a little more "hop to it".

Now I am about 2.5 weeks into primary fermentation on my second batch. I think I will check an initial FG tonight and am considering racking to a secondary for dry hopping.

Any ideas - particularly what style of hop and how much (likely using pellets)?
I did several BBS kits before branching out on my own, but I do recall a similar "complaint" as I am a hop head. What kit is it? Still the Everyday? Its been years but I think that kit was columbus and cascade. I would go with cascade for a dry hop to keep it simple. So many hops compliment cascade that you can really go nuts with it (citra, centennial, chinook, simcoe, etc)

Again, as a hop head, I usually dry hop around 1.25 oz per batch. An ounce should give you more than enough. In the future, if you are still sticking to the BBS kits. Find out what there late hop additions are (20 minutes or less) and toss in .25 ounces at flameout. Let it steep for a while and then continue like normal. You should get a really pronounced flavor/aroma from this, and along with dry hopping it should be rather aggressive

Old 03-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #217
MedBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Any one ever use secondary fermentation with these one gallon kits? I racked my smoked wheat yesterday to a secondary fermenter to try that out. Guess I'll let it sit another week or 2?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #218
tdhickey
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First Batch - IPA I used a small strainer, over boiled, under mashed (too dry), I over-carbed with 3 tbs of table sugar and immediately stored it in the cold garage, dry airlocked with loose connection and even managed to bottle some in a few screw top bottles. Basically I screwed up big time and the beer was terrible, even after 8 weeks, so I dumped it.

Second Batch - Bruxelles Blonde. I found this forum and took some advice, used a bigger strainer and controlled my mash temp a little better, used more water for the sparge, used 2 tbs of honey, controlled my fermentation temp much better, had a more active primary fermentation and a better airlock experience and much better bottling experience. So far this beer has been wonderful, better than a lot of commercial craft beers I have tasted. I think I'll have on after this post to be honest.

Third Batch - Smoked Wheat. Similar to the second, better quality mash and used 22oz bottles to make that process easier. This one is bottle conditioning for at least 2.5 more weeks.

Fourth/Fifth Batch - Smoked Wheat (I have 6 recipe kits for this one as they went on sale for $10 each), Enter the 2 gallon Mash Tun with a bigger brew pot and a second fermentor. This setup is awesome as I can brew two batches at once and separate into 2 fermenters to play around with a little bit. I got my first real active Krausen this time, that $hit was spurting out like a foaming animal and sparging was way easier, mashing out was a little tricky but I got the hang of it, just almost over flowed my mash tun. I am really excited for these batches.

I think with these kits, they are great, just the strainer method isn't really great unless you have a very large strainer that can produce a decent grain bed.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #219
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedBrewer View Post
Any one ever use secondary fermentation with these one gallon kits? I racked my smoked wheat yesterday to a secondary fermenter to try that out. Guess I'll let it sit another week or 2?
I do when I dry hop or add spices/oak. I usually only let it sit for a week due to the larger amount of headspace and possibility of oxidation
Old 03-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #220
MedBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

For the first bbs kit I used everyday IPA and used a strainer that was just barely large enough. For second brew last week I went to bed bath and beyond and picked up a 3 piece strainer stainless steel,the largest of the 3 strainer in kit holds the mash with room to spare. It was $14 . Made the process much easier for me.

Quick Reply