HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Kit Tips




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #201
georgevct
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Hello all,

First off thanks for all the awesome advice as a new and first time brewer this has been great. I brewed my first batch and am now waiting. I may start a second batch but to take all the awesome advice into one post. Here are my questions:

1. Since the strainer was small and before I buy a bigger one. Can BBS kit be used in a BIAB (brew in bag) style If so what or how does it change?

2. I like the idea of honey in water and then adding the bottle. What is the best level for honey and water to use? Or sugar?

3. How would one know if the bear has bacteria and the sterilization went off.

4. What is the best way to clean the bottling bottles?

5. I have seen very little bubbles in the airlock but I do seem them in the bottle although very small

Sorry for all the newbie questions but I appreciate all the great advice.

Thanks
George



__________________
georgevct is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #202
Calichusetts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 2,025
Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevct View Post
Hello all,

First off thanks for all the awesome advice as a new and first time brewer this has been great. I brewed my first batch and am now waiting. I may start a second batch but to take all the awesome advice into one post. Here are my questions:

1. Since the strainer was small and before I buy a bigger one. Can BBS kit be used in a BIAB (brew in bag) style If so what or how does it change?

2. I like the idea of honey in water and then adding the bottle. What is the best level for honey and water to use? Or sugar?

3. How would one know if the bear has bacteria and the sterilization went off.

4. What is the best way to clean the bottling bottles?

5. I have seen very little bubbles in the airlock but I do seem them in the bottle although very small

Sorry for all the newbie questions but I appreciate all the great advice.

Thanks
George
1. Yes....I actually got a cheap strainer that matches the diameters of my pots, holds up to 3 pounds of grain but a bag is easy.

2. I add 2 tablespoons of honey now (about 1 oz) and get a nice carb. The kits call for 3 but unless you get a full gallon to bottle with, you will end up with a pretty high carb level, something I used to like but now moved away from

3. There is an infected thread on this board, post pics of anything you think is unusual but its probably not infected

4. There are also several posts, including Revvy's bottling tips thread on how to clean the bottles. Many ways to skin a cat...you can do it by hand, soak them all in a bucket or use a dishwasher

5. You have bubbles in the bottled beer? Sorry, I don't get you last question...hope this all helped


__________________
Calichusetts is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #203
georgevct
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
1. Yes....I actually got a cheap strainer that matches the diameters of my pots, holds up to 3 pounds of grain but a bag is easy.

2. I add 2 tablespoons of honey now (about 1 oz) and get a nice carb. The kits call for 3 but unless you get a full gallon to bottle with, you will end up with a pretty high carb level, something I used to like but now moved away from

3. There is an infected thread on this board, post pics of anything you think is unusual but its probably not infected

4. There are also several posts, including Revvy's bottling tips thread on how to clean the bottles. Many ways to skin a cat...you can do it by hand, soak them all in a bucket or use a dishwasher

5. You have bubbles in the bottled beer? Sorry, I don't get you last question...hope this all helped
Hi thanks again

1. So a bag is easier and I will do that on the next brew. Had trouble with the strainer

2. Thanks

3. Found it thanks

4. Thanks

5. Sorry for the confusion. I see bubbles in the 1 gallon glass container but very little in the airlock.

Thanks again

George
__________________
georgevct is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #204
masterfool101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Posts: 272
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

don't worry about lack of bubbles in the airlock. you probably either have a leak (i.e. the gas is escaping elsewhere) or you've already passed the point where you'll see lots of active bubbling. Bubbles in the fermenting vessel are normal.

__________________

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

masterfool101 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #205
PsyDanny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I just opened the first bottle of my Chocolate Maple Porter that came with the kit my family got me last year. Took me a long time to get around to it because I had the idea that the 2 weeks primary ferment/2 weeks bottle conditioning was rigid and I always had things going on. Now I now that more time is actually better, and there really is a lot of flexibility.

I bought the fixin's for an Everyday IPA at our LHBS (Northern Brewer). So I may get that going on Sunday - good way to celebrate/down my sorrows following the Vikings Wild Card game tomorrow night.

Anyhow, I will use the Gift Card I was given to pick up a few items to enhance the process this next time around (like a mini auto siphon and bottle fillers). With that, I am seeking opinions on getting another gallon glass carboy to use for secondary fermentation. I am thinking about using that after the first week or so of primary, with the idea that my final product might have less sediment.

Another obvious benefit of a second carboy is that I can start rotating production. But my first thought is the secondary fermentation.

__________________
PsyDanny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #206
MedBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MedBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 157
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Just out of curiosity,what has everyone who used a BBS kit as a first brew made as a SECOND brew attempt and how did it come out?

__________________
MedBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #207
svennn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedBrewer View Post
Just out of curiosity,what has everyone who used a BBS kit as a first brew made as a SECOND brew attempt and how did it come out?
I did the Everyday IPA as first brew. I'm going to brew the Chestnut Brown this weekend.

I first did 5g beer about 25 years ago and never got anything drinkable.

This IPA is fantastic and I love the 1g batch size. I don't drink much, maybe 2 beers a week so this works perfect for me.

Steve
__________________
svennn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #208
BlakeL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 320
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedBrewer View Post
Just out of curiosity,what has everyone who used a BBS kit as a first brew made as a SECOND brew attempt and how did it come out?
I did the Everyday IPA first and it turned out great even though the ingredients were expired. For my second brew I did the Grapefruit Honey Ale and I had bottle bombs and it had some off flavors. I believe it was because I was not controlling my fermentation temperature. Now that I am, my beer is much better but I'm doing 2.5 gallon batches mostly now.
__________________
BlakeL is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #209
Calichusetts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 2,025
Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedBrewer View Post
Just out of curiosity,what has everyone who used a BBS kit as a first brew made as a SECOND brew attempt and how did it come out?
I just did single hop IPAs for a while...I had no idea what columbus or cascade or anything really tasted like on its own so I did about 8 IPAs then a pilsner...

I don't have my notes in front of me but the columbus actually did pretty well on its own...cascade was very nice...citra was by far the most potent in terms of flavor, aroma...and centennial was also very nice. Did not enjoy a few though.
__________________
Calichusetts is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 02:40 AM   #210
PsyDanny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I am doing the Everyday IPA from the book, not the kit. So I bought ingredients from my lhbs. The book does not mention OG or FG. Would anyone let me know what hydrometer readings they obtained either from the boxed kit or from lbhs ingredients.

Looks like I had a hydrometer reading of 1.076 on the post-boil wort, cooled to just below 70F. But it was only about 3/4 gallon by then. I may have topped it off with a bit too much water (just above the "one gallon" lettering on the gallon glass carboy), and that hydrometer reading was 1.038.

Am I in the ball park here?



__________________
PsyDanny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes