Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Kit Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #111
BlakeL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoz
BIAB = Brew In A Bag?
Yes. Brewing TV has a good episode about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #112
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
Congrats on going big with the 5g batches. If I ever get to that point i'll defiantly do what you did and check craigslist and forums for local people getting rid of equipment to save money. My problem is I don't have room for large fermenters and wouldn't know what to do with 5g worth of bottles. My house is only around 750 sq ft so I don't have much extra room in the air conditioning.
There is always someone getting out of brewing or going bigger. It's also common to find turkey fryer apparatus used for less than $40, including a big enough pot -- that you will have to clean very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoz View Post
BIAB = Brew In A Bag?
Yep.

I used a 14qt stainless pot i bought at BigLots for $13 and a 5 gallon paint strainer bag i bought at Lowes in a 2-pack for like $2.

Also, a digital probe thermometer, which is much faster to read the temperature of the mash than the glass one BBS ships.

I used a 90 minute mash, with temperatures fluctuating between 150 and 160. All of the water that was ever going to be in the beer at once.

When the mash is done, turn up the heat. When it hits 170, lift out the bag, tie it off, and put it in a colander balanced over the wort.

The boil is done as usual.

It took some tinkering to get the equipment and mash programmed into brewtarget but generally the total amount of water to start with is about 6.5 quarts.

Now that i have a 10 gallon insulated mash tun, I just pour in water at the temperature recommended by brewtarget based on the recipe and equipment, pour in the grain, stir a bit, lid up, and walk away to go prepare for the next steps for an hour. Beats the heck out of worrying a pot on the stove for an hour and a half.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #113
BlakeL
Recipes 

Finished bottling this morning! I can't wait to try it after two weeks. To make bottling easier in the future, i'll probably buy an auto-siphon and bottling bucket.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #114
kc1123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't try after two weeks, wait three or four. It will be difficult, but the result better.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #115
BlakeL
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1123
Don't try after two weeks, wait three or four. It will be difficult, but the result better.
I'll try. I plan on brewing my second batch next weekend. It will be the Brooklyn Brew Shop Grapefruit Honey Ale. Hopefully once I order some ingredients, I can stagger my fermenters so that I am always bottling some beer every few weeks. I just need a couple more 1 gallon jugs or maybe a 2 gallon bucket and some more bottles.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #116
jnalpak
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
Finished bottling this morning! I can't wait to try it after two weeks. To make bottling easier in the future, i'll probably buy an auto-siphon and bottling bucket.

Looking to bottle this afternoon. a few questions on your bottling:
  1. Did you use the honey recipe for your primer or did you opt for priming sugar? If priming sugar, did you make your own or purchase from a LHBS?
  2. re: Sugar - Did you add the primer to the 1Gallon jug, swirl it around and wait 30min for the sediments to fall and then bottle straight from the 1G Jug into the bottles? Or did you add primer directly into the bottle? if the latter, how much? for each?
  3. re: Honey - If you went HONEY, I'm reading that using the honey method can be tricky since not all honey is concentrated the same and that I would need to test the gravity. What brand did you use and how much + water? This recipe would be helpful
  4. I was originally thinking of siphoning into a second pot filled with priming sugar (or honey) but after reading that you can go directly into the 1G jug I may opt to go this method. This would remove the need to siphon twice.

or am I thinking to much and you just followed the instructions listed with brooklyn brew? If you did anything different it would be great to hear your steps.

All the best!

TIP - an advanced Homebrew friend of mine said that you should line these newly primed bottles under a heavy-duty garbage bag. The thought is, if you overcarb the bottles, you don't want exploding beer all over your house/apt/garage!

Old 05-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #117
BlakeL
Recipes 

jnalpak - The bottling kit I bought at my LHBS included 1lb of corn sugar so I used that. Most people recommend it over honey. First, I dissolved and boiled 25g of the corn sugar and water. Then I added that mixture to a 10qt pot and siphoned the wort over top and stirred it up a little bit. After that I filled and capped the bottles. It was pretty easy but defiantly requires 2-3 people. I had my wife taking care of the racking cane and my father-in-law handing me bottles.

Your trash bag idea is pretty good but since I used the recommended amount of corn sugar, I hope I won't have that problem.

Tips:

• Get an auto siphon and bottle filler. I didn't have an auto siphon but the bottle filler was nice to have.
  • Put a towel or container down where you will be filling the bottles to catch any overflow. I didn't do this and had a mess to clean up after.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #118
kc1123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

jnalpak - I used the honey called for in the recipe, but I measure my 3 tbsp. a little "under" because I was worried about overcarbing. I put my honey and water in a glass measuring cup and microwaved it. I mixed it up really well and poured it into the bottom of the pot I was using to bottle. I siphoned from my primary into the pot on top of the mixture. I would not recommend adding sugar to the primary. In retrospect I wish I could have gently stirred the beer + priming mixture for a few seconds to distribute everything better. I had no exploding bottles, though I did find the carbonation was a little inconsistent. One bottle was very carbed, another just right, etc.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #119
kc1123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another thing that could lead to overcarbing is bottling before primary is done. I waited three full weeks before bottling.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #120
Ply318ci
Recipes 

I would stick with sugar regular table sugar with like a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of water heated to at least 170 degrees or just before boil in a 6qt pot so it can hold the beer. Let it cool and then siphon the beer into the pot and then bottle from that. worked for me everytime. I have never had a bottle bomb yet and each bottle carbs the same.

Quick Reply