Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Kit Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
BlakeL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Kit Tips

I saw this kit online and thought it would be a good fit for me since i have a very small house and this will me my first time brewing. I went to Williams and Sonoma to see if they had it and it was on sale for $20. The kit expires soon so I'll probably be brewing it tomorrow or next week. Does anyone have any tips for me before I start?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A link would be helpful.

Do you have equipment? That kit is just the ingredients.

Most kits come with questionable instructions. Do you have a book to help you? Like, How To Brew (available online) or something similar?

Good luck, but my main tip is, don't rush in. Get all your ducks in a row. Cheers!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 04-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
BlakeL
Recipes 

Sorry, the kit I bought was their starter 1g kit. I'll check out the instructions and see if I have any questions to fill in the gaps. I'll also check out that book. Is that one the best?

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/beer-making-kits/everyday-ipa-1-gal-kit

Old 04-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Use at least a 10 quart pot...3 pots really helps with sparging and lautering. Finally, find a colander that matches the diameter of your pots.

I did about 6 of the kits and this was the wish I knew then tips.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Gunnarubex
Recipes 

I love my Brooklyn Beer kit. The biggest thing is to make sure you have all your pots ready to go. They say that two 6.5 quart pots are enough, but I found I prefer 10 qt. pots and I end up using 3. The instructions aren't bad. Just be familiar with them before you start. I usually read through them 3 times before I begin sanitizing. Most of all, put on a good movie, crack open a beer, and have fun.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Dotmo
Recipes 

I started with the Chestnut Brown from Brooklyn Brew Shop. Other than making sure you have all the equipment you are going to need, I suggest...
...read the instructions, read them again, re-read them, then write down the steps for easier reference rather than having to sift through the PDF file for each step. Writing the steps down for batch 2+ saved me a lot of "omgwtf" trying to find the pertinent information in the provided directions.

Best tip of all for a first brew...its fun to watch the airlock burps, but if it stops/isnt doing anything, it doesnt really mean fermentation isnt happening! Save yourself from the razzing of senior members and use a hydrometer

Good luck with the first brew, and welcome to the addiction!

Brew on!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 604

One more thing...wait far longer than two weeks before you crack your bottles, they will probably not be carbonated and my best batches from those kits were the one I gave 3+ weeks.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
BlakeL
Recipes 

When I put the wort into the carboy to ferment, should I start off using the tubing and bowl of water for the airlock or go straight to using the airlock that came with the kit? I noticed in some videos, specifically the basic brew ones, that they just use the airlock in the beginning.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Dotmo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
When I put the wort into the carboy to ferment, should I start off using the tubing and bowl of water for the airlock or go straight to using the airlock that came with the kit? I noticed in some videos, specifically the basic brew ones, that they just use the airlock in the beginning.
Two weeks ago I brewed a porter and started with the airlock in place. After I saw the fermentation kick up, the krausen started to form like crazy and I got worried about a blowout so I put the blow-off tube in place. Good thing I did as a TON of gunk ended up in the blow-off bowl. Both the blow-off tube and airlock serve the same purpose - let CO2 out and not let O2 and the baddies in - but the blow-off tube reduces the risk of a PITA (pain in the ....you know) clean up if your airlock get clogged with gunk and stuff starts spewing out the top of the fermenter. Typically I use the blow-off tube until the krausen starts to fall, at which point I'll put the airlock back in.

Brew on!

Old 04-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #10
BlakeL
Recipes 

Thanks for the info Dotmo. I'll use the tube for a few days and then switch over to the airlock. I just finished my first batch! Hopefully it turns out good.

Mash:

Wort:

Fermenting:

Quick Reply