Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brooklyn Brew Shop Edelweiss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
pabrimmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brooklyn Brew Shop Edelweiss

Has anyone had success with this recipe? Googling, I found someone on this forum who had it come out too flat, and a blogger who had it come out over carbonated.

The recipe is unlike BBS's other recipes in that it calls for only 3 days in the fermenter before being bottled with no extra priming sugar. The idea is that fermentation continues in the bottles, creating a light carbonation.

My interest in this recipe is that I'm going to visit a friend and I thought it would be fun to give him an intro to home brewing. It's not feasible to do a standard recipe with 3 weeks in the fermenter before bottling during a 4-day weekend visit. So this edelweiss recipe, which goes from brewing to bottling in only 3 days seems like an attractive option. However, based on the lack of encouraging stories about this recipe, I'm thinking of scrapping the brewing idea, but I thought I would check here first.

Thanks, cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Never brewed it. sounds like it calls for some strict temperature control in order to get the right amount of sugar left in the beer in order to get good carbonation. Waste of time in my opinion.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
gelatin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's ultimately a matter of bottling at a target FG to get the right amount of sugar. I'd take readings every 6 hours or so starting at 48 hours after pitching. Very time intensive, and you'd have to be ready to bottle immediately anywhere from day 2-5.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
pabrimmer
Recipes 

Gelatin, that sounds like a reasonable way to get repeatable results. Unfortunately, the recipe doesn't come with instructions to that level of detail. I think I'm going to have to ditch this idea. /sigh

Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
gelatin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, I don't see why you couldn't wait around 5 days then do a normal priming and bottling. The taste shouldn't be that different and 5 days is plenty of time to ferment completely for a fairly low OG beer.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
pabrimmer
Recipes 

For an update on this, I ended up taking a 1-gallon fermenter and an Austin Homebrew Itsy-Bitsy IPA mix to my buddy's house instead of the grain I bought for the edelweiss. We brewed the IPA and I left it there to ferment. I'm going to try to get back for a 2nd visit and bottling after he recovers from his last round of chemo.

I brewed the edelweiss at home yesterday. I'm going to do a normal ferment and bottle with priming sugar in a few weeks.

image-2096893590.jpg  

Old 12-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
pabrimmer
Recipes 

And thanks for the replies and advice.

Cheers!

Quick Reply