Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Broken thermometer - timed brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
leirbag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Broken thermometer - timed brewing

I was just heating up 2 gallons of water, with the goal of getting it to 155 degrees when I walked over with my thermometer and wouldn't you know it I freakin hit the thermometer tip in the lip of the kettle; it broke open!!!!

I don't want to have this stop me and I figured I should be able to guesstimate the time it takes to get to my degree points. But I wanted to see if my times seem really out of whack.

I have an electric stove so that is a huge factor. I think I remember it taking about 45 minutes or so to get to around 160 degrees. Does that time sound really out of the ballpark? And I use an immersion chiller so I estimate it will take me around 25 minutes to cool it down to around 80 degrees.

What does anyone think about my time estimates? I don't want to put off brewing today so I am moving forward regardless of this set back.

Thanks for any tips.

Gabriel

He was a wise man who invented beer. - Plato

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Are you just steeping grains for an extract brew? If so, I dont think its necessary to hit exactly 155. You do want to make sure it doesnt get up over 170 though. Your time does not sound unreasonable, but there is no way for any of us to tell you when your stove will hit 155. I guess you could stick your finger in it, once it starts getting hot enough to burn you, add your grains? lol

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

No meat thermometer lying around?

When are they going to make the THROW YOUR GLASS THERMOMETERS AWAY thread a sticky?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
jbug440
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Go to Target and buy a digital thermometer for $15 quickly

Old 11-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
leirbag
Recipes 

It is extract brewing so I am with you that exact temperatures are not that important. I'm moving forward with my guesstimates. I should have searched the forum before posting I now realize that this has been posted before, it was just my knee-jerk reaction to reach out to my brew comrades.

He was a wise man who invented beer. - Plato

Quick Reply