New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brita vs Other Faucet Water Filters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
sportscrazed2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brita vs Other Faucet Water Filters

Is brita the best or is there something that is better? They go for about $27 here and the cartridges go for $22. i usually spend about $6-7 on bottled water every batch. would it be worth picking up one of these? or should i pick up a couple of those 5 gallon water jugs so i can fill em up for 50 cents a gallon at the grocery store?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

how hard is your water? depending on your tap situation will depend on if you even need to filter. i have somewhat "hardwater" and if i am doing a pale ale i will use my tapwater or i will buy distilled at the grocery store.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

not real sure i don't really drink my tap water. I do know it comes from Lake Michigan though and Three Floyds uses it. I should ask them if they filter it. They do win awards for their beers. I don't really care for the taste of my tap water so I figured I would invest in a water filter.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Legin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I use a PUR carbon filter. It's identical to a Brita filter, only it is an adapter that runs the purified water directly from the faucet (think Brita does that also). I live in Seattle and the water is fine to use in most all-grain batches without any filtration, though I do notice a significant improvement in taste with filtration. If you are doing extract batches, then I would suggest picking one of these up. They can do a recommended 100gals of water before needing to be changed. That should save you around 100 dollars and all the effort of dragging bottled water home from the grocery.

Now if you are doing all-grains you would have to know your water's chemistry. Which, in the end, you may ultimately have to carry a few bottles of distilled water on the side.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

you have a link to the one you have? did the math it will cost me $27+tax to pick up one of those brita on tap filters. and at 100 gallons per filter it will cost about .27 a gallon which the cheapest i've ever paid is around $.6 a gallon. is there a way to attach some kind of tubing to it so that i can run it into a bucket rather than filling milk jugs?

Old 12-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Legin
Recipes 

Certainly. Best about it is that it has a switch to activate and disable when you want it to purify. And like all carbon filters it removes chlorine and chloramines, which is often the most hazardous-- to the beer's taste-- component in city water.

http://www.purwater.com/pur-products/faucet-water-filter/2-stage-vertical.html

Edit: Brita's counterpart: http://www.brita.com/products/faucet-filtration/basic/

Old 12-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

they both look to be about equal price. do you know if the brita one has a switch to not filter water? would hate to unhook it all the time just to rehook it when brewing.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Legin
Recipes 

I believe it does: "2 stream feature for regular tap and filtered water."

Old 12-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

alright thanks the reason i'm leaning towards brita is because that's all the store i work at sells and i hate driving all over the place in the snow

Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

well i bought the basic $20 brita tap filter today water tastes better than just tap so that's good

Quick Reply