Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brilliant clarity without cold crashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #31
gelatin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...lanalysis.html

I was going off 2011 report, looks like the 2012 is out now. Not much has changed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #32
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Here's a pic of my first brew, an ESB clone brew after 8 days in the primary. Not sure what I did right vs wrong but fwiw I used bottled spring water. Also when I boiled it for 60 minutes I couldn't get it to a hard boil on my electric stove and by the time it got a decent boil it probably added an extra 20 or so minutes.

image-2583190058.jpg  

Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #33
NanoMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The beer looks fairly clear from here. Cold crashing and time should get you the rest of the way. Would still recommend BrewBrite in the boil.

Cheers!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #34
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2205 Times on 1921 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

I just saw that brewbrite at the lhbs yesterday. Clarifying agent I take it?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #35
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Thanks Nano, it was extremely clear. I was very surprised myself.

I know it's way too soon after bottling (6 days), but I'm going to check out a bottle tomorrow and see how it tastes compared to last week.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #36
gelatin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That actually looks pretty similar to mine, which I consider cloudy. For example you can't see the countertop pattern through it except a little at the very bottom where the liquid is thin.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #37
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just a thought...some beers are not expected to be all that clear. Couldn't find a mention of the recipes you are having problems with.

Do you have any wheat or rye or malts that should probably be mashed?

Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #38
BrewingPrepper
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

One thing I think I did was aerate at a to high of a temp which causes oxidation and I think caused my first brew to be pretty cloudy...

Drinking-IPA
Fermenter-Oatmeal Stout

If anyone has concerns about the direction the world is going please PM me for more details...

Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #39
spokehead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoMan View Post
BrewBrite is a polyclar product, synthetic. Not sure of the shelf life. Rep recommended to me it be kept sealed in the freezer.

Yeast flocculation is time and sugar (actually lack of) dependent, plus strain character.

Cheers!
Good and interesting points you make about the yeast. I recently brewed a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone, my first all-grain, and after two weeks in primary, still very cloudy, and gravity down to about 1.010 - 1.012 from an OG of 1.053. I had used yeast harvested from Sierra Nevada bottles, which I thought had done surprisingly well. I had the harvested yeast growing in extract wort for about a week and it appeared to be a very robust sample. After 24 hours, fermenter had a great staccato rhythm going. Perhaps it was just too much yeast? I've racked to secondary yesterday but may have to try the gelatin for the first time.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #40
NanoMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Color and clarity are only 3 points on the BJCP exam, and for good reason. There are bad things which can cause clarity problems, but not all clarity problems are from bad things. Aroma and taste ultimately trump the day. However, I, too, am disappointed when I cannot get my beers crystal clear. But what is the metric? Almost all commercial beers are filtered, they use post kettle finings (Sierra Nevada uses Polyclar Plus, for example), and frankly, I haven't found that customers are all that concerned about clarity if the product tastes good. Having said that, if you don't filter, you need to run down your checklist, beginning with grain, crush, Ca++ levels, hot break, cold break, kettle finings, yeast strain, yeast health, need I go on? At the end of the day, it is Tincture of Time!

Cheers!

NanoMan

Quick Reply